question on traslating a pattern from another language

nana

Question

iam trying to find how to traslat a pattern from russian to English. could someone help. I would like a dic. on how to put russion into English.  ive tried everything on how to do this, but am not getting anywhere. thank you, nana

2 answers to this question

Since far too many of the Russian sites are using PDFs of books and magazines that are not legal copies, it will be quite difficult.

You also might need to understand the different approach of many European and Russian books and magazines.   Their audience does not expect the same degree of explanation that a US audience would expect. 

In many cases, even where more detailed instructions exist, they are often only one one size, with the expectation that you will know how to up/down size.  Often not even having schmetatics.

Many years ago, for the benefit of knitters, Sion Eloab - founder of the US Yarn Distributor, Knitting Fever, prepared a text called the Knitting Architect.  Many have found it helpful and most of the priciples easily "transfer" to crochet.

Another Helpful aid would be a book recently published thru Leisure Arts. This book has been a long time comming and was a "pet project" of Jean Leinhauser.  Sadly she left us before it could be finished - thankfully for crocheters, Rita Weiss and Susan Huxley completed her work and an excellent reference. "Complete Guide To Symbol Crochet"  exists "in English" to assist you in creating the necessary swatches. 

I guess the bottom line unless you have access to someone who can both Read Russian, speaks Symbol Crochet and last but least knows how to fit a motif into the outline for the style you desire,  it will require writing/figuring it out.   Something you may have to do yourself, since most of these pages violate copyrights, most of those who could help will not as a matter of ethics.

Fortunately many "English" speaking designers have been using Symbol Crochet and creating wonderful patterns so you will have other choices and if you take the time to learn how, can become "adept" at changing the motifs used to change the final look.

Sorry not to be more helpful

I found your post to be very helpful.

I recently purchased a pattern on Craftsy from someone in Rumania- there was a poor schematic symbol crochet of the project and a lack of explantions.

Archived