Finally Out of My Beginner Crochet Rut

Last week, I posted in the "Crochet Fear" thread that my fear was that I wouldn't progess--that I would just keep doing rows of SC and HDC. I had done no rounds nor any decreasing. It seemed like everything I was making was done in Homespun with a 9 mm hook. I was especially afraid of using a smaller hook because my first brief attempt was unfruitful.

Well, I decided that for now, I would only take on projects wherein I used a new hook size, yarn, pattern, skill, or all of the above. So, on Saturday morning I began the Easiest Shawl Ever wherein I used a new hook (Q), a new yarn (mohair), and I learned to decrease. What a breeze! I have no idea what I was so scared of!

Well, I was even more excited when on Saturday evening, my hand somewhat fatigued from using the Q hook, I decided to try Dot's Ditty Bag. I had not made anything using worsted weight yarn or an H hook, nor had I worked in rounds yet. I was so excited that it was actually turning out correctly, I stayed up well past my bedtime working on it.

Now I understand why everyone has all these WIPs going. Of course, the down side (so to speak) of all this experience is that my WIM list will keep growing and growing and growing...

(Will post photos when these projects are complete, of course. :) )

Yay! One of my first crochet projects was a purse, and I had the gauge so small and tight, it looked so retarded. But I haven't had any other projects turn out that awful; so don't worry, it just gets better.

If you find a well-written pattern, there's little that can go wrong. I used to get really stumped if there were mistakes in a pattern; but even after a while, you get so used to the basics that you can correct mistakes yourself.

I've found the patterns in books that I've bought (Hip to Crochet is my favorite) generally have well-written patterns. I've found some Leisure Arts patterns to be confusing; but maybe that's just me.

there's really not much you won't be able to handle, now that you've mastered crocheting in the round!

oh one more thing...sorry, I'm chatty tonight, although highly depressed about the braves. Maybe I'm just jittery after watching a 5 1/2 hour game.

I like to do "little" projects. I never did an afghan until recently. I just get bored with big projects. But by doing a lot of little, quick projects, I think you learn more, because you're not doing the same stitch forever :)

Great for you! I look foward to seeing your pics!

Just a tip about all those WIP's you are now working on....mark the hook size you are using on your project. I use little home made tags made out of return address labels and #10 crochet thread. Then I just loop it through my project until it is finished.

I have several WIP's turned UFO's. I'm now trying to finish all of them up but I have no idea what hook I was using before! :eek I tend to crochet tightly so I often don't even use the size indicated on the pattern, so that's no help. It was only about a month or so ago that I began noting what hook I was using. The only problem is that most of the WIP's/UFO's I have are not marked so as I finish these up I'm just hoping for the best.

I hope that helps. :D

Oh my gosh, that IS exciting! It also gives me hope, lol. This week I ventured into more difficult novelty yarns, but still haven't tried anything beyond the standard single, double or treble crochet...you've given me hope, lol! :hook

I like to do "little" projects. I never did an afghan until recently. I just get bored with big projects. But by doing a lot of little, quick projects, I think you learn more, because you're not doing the same stitch forever :)

I agree. I have been doing too many time consuming projects, not learning very much, and getting bored. I learned a lot doing that ditty bag. Now I can make a baby hat!

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement!

Archived