Adding width to a blanket

tekmaster5000

Question

Hello,

I am a reborn crochetter, lol. I used to crochet when I was about 9 or 10 and I used to do a lot of circle doilys. About 11 years later, I want to take it back up. I'm not sure why I ever stopped in the first place.

I am starting with a simple sc blanket. I'm about halfway through and I realized I would like to add more width to  it.

When I'm done with the length, could I just turn it to its side and start sc from there to add width? With the yarn I am using, the stitches aren't visible.

Note: I am using a regular yarn mixed with a eyelash yarn. (Its a baby blanket)

Also, could anyone point me in the right direction for a tutorial that shows how to attach different shapes together?

Also, could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to finish the blanket, like once I'm done, what do I do?

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

I can't direct you to any tutorials, but you can make one sc in each row on the sides, to make it wider.  Sounds like you're going in the right direction.  Try googling "joining squares in crochet" or something similar.  Also, google "invisible seam" for sewing motifs together invisibly.  For finishing the afghan you're working on, you can dc around the entire afghan, making 3 dc in each corner, so that it won't curl up at the corners.  If you need more help, just let us know.  And I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions.

Happy crocheting!!

Decide how much wider you need it to be and divide that in half.

Take the first number and stop the length that much shorter.  Then work a border around the whole thing for the number of inches of the second number.

It'll look like you did it on purpose.

I agree with the other posters. I once was doing an afghan but decided that it needed to be wider so I just added the appropriate stitches on either side (this time it was dc) to the width I liked and it came out just fine. 

Good luck and have fun.

LI Roe

Archived