repairing a granny square

Nana519

Question

I have a problem -- how to reconstruct a granny square in an afghan. The square unraveled from the inside out about one or two rounds. How do you work backwards? Should I try to start with the center and connect with  and outer round? Any ideas?

10 answers to this question

Had to do this a couple of months ago. The center of a large granny square afghan was chewed by a dog. I crocheted a new center and tried to weave it in. Had to use new yarn since the original was destroyed. The challenge was to weave it in!

is this multiple squares joined? or one large square

no ideas If it is one large one, but if it is individuals, undo the join, unravel and rework the square then rejoin. may have to replace some of the yarn, but a close match will blend in. had to do this on one of grandmas afghans.

Thank you all for the help! I was leaning toward to your fix, Rose Red and JoAnn, but wasn't sure how to integrate it. Luckily, there is only one damaged square. This might  be tonight's project. Thanx again!

believe it or not, i did it in an evening. i ripped out the center and second rows and then stared at the gaping hole. felt sick. could i really fix it? i plodded along, reconstructed the center two rows, and stitched it into the third row. i don't want to do that again ever. 

Archived