Need some help please

animaltrainfollowing

Question

I want to crochet an afghan. I want to have, say, 3 rows of double crochet alternating with 2 rows of 1 double  crochet chain 1 skip a space 1 double crochet. I hope that makes sense. The problem is that I don't know how to figure the multiple. Depending on my starting chain, the row with double crochet skip a space double crochet doesn't always work out. If anyone can figure out what I'm trying to do here and help me figure out what my multiple would be I would greatly appreciate it. I may not have explained what I am trying to do good enough but I figured it was worth a try to ask anyway! :) Thanks, Donna Kay :)

4 answers to this question

The multiple is 2, plus 1. You have (dc, ch 1) over and over,so that is the multiple of 2. then at the end you have one dc to end the row, that is the plus 1.

For example, you could use 9 stitches, 2 x 4=8, plus 1 =9

or 101 stitches, that is 2 x 50, plus 1.

You need an odd number (which, multiple of 2 + 1 always is), plus 2 for your starting chain for DC...so again an odd number. 

The reason you don't add 3 for the turning chain, which seems logical since we chain 3 to turn:

Picture the smallest row of DC possible (without doing something unusual), which is 2 DC. 

To make it, chain 4, then DC in the 4th chain from the hook. 

You have 1 'real' DC and the other 3 chains are the turning chain.

If you had thought, "I want 2 dc, so I will chain 2 plus 3 for the turning chain" you'd have a chain left over.

Archived