Rules/tips for ensuring proper stitch count

beans_etc

Question

My biggest problem since I began crocheting a few months back is getting the right amount of stitches in my work.  I'm constantly having to pull out rows of stitches because I get to the end and I'm either over or short one stitch in my count.

I would like some help clarifying any rules that exist that may help me get better at ensuring I have the proper amount of stitches, for example:

• If a pattern tells me to ch 1 at the beginning of a row, does that automatically mean that I need to skip the first stitch closest to my hook and proceed to the second one over?  Does that "ch 1" always take the place of that first closest stitch space?

• Some times when I get to the end of a round and have to slip stitch back to the first stitch in that same row, I have trouble deciphering which the first stitch actually is.  Should there always be a one-stitch worth of space between your last stitch of the row and the one you're slip stitching to, or at other times should the one you're slip stitching to be immediately following your last stitch in the row?
    Also, if you've already ch 1 at the beginning of the row, do you make sure to skip that ch 1 space when you slip stitch at the end?  Do you ever slip stitch to that ch 1 you originally made?

• When counting stitches, you never count the loop on your hook, correct. . .?

I hope that made sense. . . Any other tips anyone can offer would be appreciated!

5 answers to this question

The turning chain is to 'raise you up' to the level of the stitches you will be making in the next row.

The rules depend on the stitch.

SC - chain 1 - does not count as a stitch.  Chain 1, sc into the first stitch.  Do not use the ch-1 on the return row.

DC - chain 3, skip the first stitch, DC into the second stitch (because the ch-3 stands in for the first DC, it 'fills' the first stitch.  On the return row, make sure that you stitch into the top of this ch-3-which-is-really-a-DC.  It might help to put a stitch marker (bobby pin, paper clip, safety pin) into the top of the ch-3 so you don't miss it

Taller stitches - same as DC but the chains are longer, depending on the stitch - 4 for trebles, etc.

HDC - a strange one - can either ch-1 and treat as a single, or ch-2 and treate as a double

The loop on your hook does not count as a stitch.

Working in rounds, use a stitch marker on that first stitch if sc, or top chain for a taller stitch, to help you see where you need to join.  I still do that, and I've been crocheting for eons.  It may look slighly gappy, I have a tendency to want to add an extra stitch at the end, hence the stitch marker.  And, count - every so often, if not every row - it's tedious, but it will help you recognize where things should be/what they should look like when you have the right number of stitches in the round or row.

The turning chain is to 'raise you up' to the level of the stitches you will be making in the next row.

The rules depend on the stitch.

SC - chain 1 - does not count as a stitch.  Chain 1, sc into the first stitch.  Do not use the ch-1 on the return row.

DC - chain 3, skip the first stitch, DC into the second stitch (because the ch-3 stands in for the first DC, it 'fills' the first stitch.  On the return row, make sure that you stitch into the top of this ch-3-which-is-really-a-DC.  It might help to put a stitch marker (bobby pin, paper clip, safety pin) into the top of the ch-3 so you don't miss it

Taller stitches - same as DC but the chains are longer, depending on the stitch - 4 for trebles, etc.

HDC - a strange one - can either ch-1 and treat as a single, or ch-2 and treate as a double

The loop on your hook does not count as a stitch.

Working in rounds, use a stitch marker on that first stitch if sc, or top chain for a taller stitch, to help you see where you need to join.  I still do that, and I've been crocheting for eons.  It may look slighly gappy, I have a tendency to want to add an extra stitch at the end, hence the stitch marker.  And, count - every so often, if not every row - it's tedious, but it will help you recognize where things should be/what they should look like when you have the right number of stitches in the round or row.

Thank you so much!  I'm printing this out to put in my crochet bag as a quick go-to cheat sheet!  :D

Very good explanation. If you always use st markers at first and last sts of rows, and first st of rnds, it will help immensely. You will absolutely know you are starting and finishing in the correct places.

A trick my Grandmother taught me:

If you get to the end and you're one stitch shy - work an increase (2 sts in one st)

If you get to the end and you're one stitch over - word a decrease (1 st over two sts)

Then you get the right st count.

Archived