Help Needed to Decifer Meaning

Kelly Brown-Clark

Question

I am working a new project for my Pit Bull (the wussy who hates cold) and I am used to making blankets. Here is the pattern: http://www.yarnspirations.com/pattern/crochet/crochet-dog-coat

I worked down to the leg openings, changing a little because my dog is a 30" chest so I upped the needle size and the pattern. I got down to the leg openings and it starts talking about work 1 row even in pat ... then for leg openings pat across 3(5-7-9) sts. I have a huge book of explanations for sewing, crochet, embroidery, and knitting and I have looked at some of the posts here and still cannot decifer the meaning of what exactly it is that I am supposed to do. The only pattern in the pattern is 1sc in dc and 1dc in sc.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

3 answers to this question

They are telling you to do the pattern across the first 3,5,7 or 9 stitches depending on the size you are making.  You are then going to slip stitch across the next 5 or 7 stitches, again based on your sizing.  This will make the leg hole.  Being as you have adjusted the pattern to fit your dog you may need to adjust this part as well.  I would do the pattern until I reached where the leg hole needed to be then do the slip stitch and continue.

Hope this helps..

Janet

In patterns with different sizes I usually rewrite the pattern with only the directions I need for the size I'm making. 
That minimizes the risk for making errors in number of stitches.

work 1 row even in pat = work 1 row in the stitch pattern, no increases or decreases

for leg openings pat across 3(5-7-9) sts = make the pattern stitches across a limited number of stitches, depending on the size you are making.  This pattern does not explain this at all well, but see the sizes are small, med, large, extra large?  The convention is to write multi-sizing smallest to largest size, usually a pattern will say something like "pattern is written for size small, other sizes in parenthesis" so you would read the numbers as small(med, large, ex-large).

Archived