How to shape leg warmer to leg?

Childof Ochun

Question

I am attempting to re create these.  I am not sure what I need to do in order to shape them to my leg so that they flare slightly at the top and the bottom, while snug around the calf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not found anything to help me as of yet and I do not have a crochet mentor to help me with this technique.

post-68453-0-51590400-1379373764.jpg

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

To me it looks like they are pretty much straight shapes. The flare at the bottom happens because they aren't laced there. At the top they are laced but the edges are farther apart so that gives the flare in that area. Also notice the model's leg doesn't vary much in width from ankle to knee.

A stretchy stitch would be good for this kind of thing, like ribbing made by sc into the back loop only.

I agree, just make a tube.  Like socks, they'll conform to your leg.  I made the top of my first leg warmers slightly wider than the bottom for the calf, and they didn't fit well, I ripped back and made them straight, perfect fit.

edit, well for laced up you want to make a rectangle not a tube, sorry.  But you shouldn't need shaping.

Hello there, I found your post while searching for a pattern for these leg warmers, I love them!

Not sure about shaping but the ones that I have seen they wear them looser and a little more slouchy around the calves, this could overcome the thigh sizing.

I've also seen them in a 3/4 boot size with the laces up the back, awesome!

I'd love to know where you found your pattern!

Regards, Deanne

Archived