Pattern Assistance

Jayashiangel

Question

I am starting a new shawl pattern & I have a few questions...

Ch 4, Join in 3rd ch from hook to form a ring.

Row 1 (RS): Ch3 (counts as 1st dc now and throughout), 9 dc in ring. (10 dc total)Turn.

Row 2(WS): Ch1, 2sc in 1st dc, 1sc in next dc, * +1sc in between dc just worked and next dc+, 1sc in next 2dc* Repeat * to * TWICE, Repeat + to + ONCE, sc in next dc, 2sc in last dc. Turn. (16 sc total)

The Question I have is  in row #2 where do I put the +1sc in between dc just worked and next dc+, 1sc in next 2dc* or if you could explain this WHOLE row better that would be great!! As I would love to get this pattern going...but I am confused as I am not great understanding patterns...

5 answers to this question

Ok, yes it does mean to place a stitch between the stitch that you just worked into and the stitch after that.  it is a way of increasing.  

if the entire row seems difficult, it might help you to write out the whole row in complete words rather than abbreviations and asterisks.  things that are written like this look confusing, but just take it a step at a time and do exactly what it says to do.  

What Kathy said, or try splitting a 'busy' row of instructions into easier to read chunks

like this:

Row 2(WS): Ch1, 2sc in 1st dc, 1sc in next dc,

* +1sc in between dc just worked and next dc+, 1sc in next 2dc*

Repeat * to * TWICE,

Repeat + to + ONCE,

sc in next dc, 2sc in last dc. Turn. (16 sc total)

I do this a lot for doily patterns, sometimes 1 row can take up half a page (or seem to)

Archived