Scarf help

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

Ok, I found a chart that I really want to make a scarf out of. the chart is this one:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spirit-wolf-version-2-square-chart

I am making it for my mother-in-law as a surprise. I want to make it out of a turquoise yarn and either silver or light gray yarn. Though, the issue I'm having right now as I look at it is...I have no clue how I'm going to use the two colors lol. Would I have to constantly break off and rejoin, or is there a way that allows me to have both the yarn on at the same time?....ok I don't think I worded that right or I am explaining myself clearly or not lol. Please forgive me. 

it's also 90 stitches by 90 stitches...if I'm reading that correctly....if that even helps any. I have never done something like this before lol

if anyone has either ever done this pattern before or even knows what I'm trying to communicate ot anyone lol your help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advanced to anyone and everyone that helps me! ^_^

5 answers to this question

I think the only way you'll be able to make it a wearable size is if you use really thin thread.  If you tried to do this with 4plyww yarn and an I hook it'd be 2 feet across.

I would definitely work up some swatches to see how thin you need to go to back 90x90 work for a scarf.

About the practical working - you could carry the unused color and not cut it at all.  If you carry it through the entire piece (switching back and forth between the two) it'll give it a slightly woven appearance and it's still going to look awesome.

I would carry both strands through the swatches so you have an accurate idea.

I think the only way you'll be able to make it a wearable size is if you use really thin thread.  If you tried to do this with 4plyww yarn and an I hook it'd be 2 feet across.

I would definitely work up some swatches to see how thin you need to go to back 90x90 work for a scarf.

About the practical working - you could carry the unused color and not cut it at all.  If you carry it through the entire piece (switching back and forth between the two) it'll give it a slightly woven appearance and it's still going to look awesome.

I would carry both strands through the swatches so you have an accurate idea.

ok I will definitely work on hook sizes, I had a feeling I might have to lol. Though, how do you carry the unused color? that's a new term to me lol

I made a filet doily that was in the neighborhood of 100 meshes square, and it was about 2' across using #10 thread and proably #7 US hook. 

I'd go ahead and make this, just as a table centerpiece not a scarf.  If you make it in worsted weight yarn you'll have a bedspread.

Edit, sorry, doily head here, didn't think of 'graph-ghan' possibilities.  Go to tapestry crochet.com, it explains how to carry the yarn so the design will look the same on both sides.  It would make an awesome afghan.  I'd make the square per the pattern, then add a plain border to grow it to a rectangle to lapghan or afghan size.

If you look at the stitch gauge of Red Heart Super Saver for example, it says an average stitch gauge of 12 stitches across = 4".  90 divided by 12 = 7.5 4" swatches, or 30" across. 

I made a filet doily that was in the neighborhood of 100 meshes square, and it was about 2' across using #10 thread and proably #7 US hook. 

I'd go ahead and make this, just as a table centerpiece not a scarf.  If you make it in worsted weight yarn you'll have a bedspread.

Edit, sorry, doily head here, didn't think of 'graph-ghan' possibilities.  Go to tapestry crochet.com, it explains how to carry the yarn so the design will look the same on both sides.  It would make an awesome afghan.  I'd make the square per the pattern, then add a plain border to grow it to a rectangle to lapghan or afghan size.

If you look at the stitch gauge of Red Heart Super Saver for example, it says an average stitch gauge of 12 stitches across = 4".  90 divided by 12 = 7.5 4" swatches, or 30" across. 

lol ok I will totally look there and bookmark the website for reference. I was kind of hoping to make it a scarf but, an afghan or a tablecloth would be just as good, maybe even a wall piece for her new house lol. Thanks for the idea! ^_^

Filet and graph work are very different sizes.  Filet has 3 or 4 stitches to each square where graph work has one sc per square. 

I would try it with a small skein of baby yarn and whatever hook is called for on the back of the label and see how that swatches up.

Archived