Constructing a crochet cushion cover

beccalovely

Question

Hi all, 

I'm making my first cushion cover from crochet. I've made lots before from fabric with my sewing machine, but this is my first attempt at crocheting one. 

The cushion pad I have is 12"x12", but it is very over-stuffed and bulky. I will make a cotton fabric cover for it so that the gaps from the crochet cover don't show directly through to the cushion pad itself. 

I've made the front panel out of a popcorn pattern square (see photo). You can't really tell from the picture that they're popcorns though. I've then done a round of double crochet around the edge, and it currently measures 12"x12", and I will block it tomorrow. 

If I do another square as the back of the cushion cover, these are my questions...

1) Should the panels measure more than 12"x12" to allow for the bulk of the cushion pad? 

2) How should I join them together so that the seams aren't too obvious? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

post-67796-0-08400700-1376954810_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Actually, crochet stretches.  I'd make each square smaller than 12" - assuming 12" is the true measurement of the fabric making up the pillow.  Long ago I made a crochet pillow, in a tighter pattern than yours, and it stretched and got all saggy baggy with use :(

For the seams, I'd go ahead and make the seams obvious.  You know how some pillows have a corded edge?  If you connected the 2 crochet panels together with reverse sc, it makes a lovely rope-cord edge.  It's a tricky stitch, not hard but awkward. 

Thanks so much for the advice! I never thought about the seams forming part of the pattern, a lovely idea that i will definitely do. 

As I've already made the front panel to measure 12"x12" I shall make the back panel 11"x11" and see how the two fit over over the really bulky cushion pad - I would never have known about keeping them nice and tight if you guys hadn't mentioned the potential for sagging. 

Thanks again!

Archived