Gift Idea for hubby

Zhaylin Black

Question

Not sure if this is the proper place to put this.

My hubby's birthday is coming up in 10 days.  I would like to make something for him, but my skill is very limited as is my budget and I don't really have any ideas.

He's been very supportive of my hobby and even bought me some yarn a couple weeks ago.  But I got Pale Yellow and Honeydew which I've been using to make a throw and it's not really a manly sort of shade lol.

He's 30 years older than me.  We live on the same property but not in the same house.  We also identify as Jehovah's Witnesses though we've been disfellowshipped for years.  Which means we've never celebrated birthdays before and I don't really want to start now.  But I would still like to at least recognize his day without going over-the-top.

He's an Ophthalmologist and when he's not working, he's usually in bed watching TV or on the computer.

He tinkers with everything though, but doesn't have any real hobbies.

Which is why I can never think up gifts for him.  I want it to be something nicer than Coasters or Coke can cozies lol.  He sleeps in a king sized bed and I haven't the patience to make a king sized afghan!

He's also very disorganized and a bit of a hoarder.

:bang

Is it possible to crochet a man's style wallet or something for organizing?  Then again, if such exists, it would probably be beyond my skill level with all the turns.

Blah

Help?  :help

15 answers to this question

Gah, I cannot find my camera  :rant

(I don't have a "real" camera.  I use my DSi, which means my kids might have misplaced it lol)

Anyhow... I decided on a scarf.  I recalled hubby said he needed a new one.

It's my first scarf and I love it so far.

I chained 3 sets of 14 to make a ripple pattern, but I've also ridged the ripples by working the back loops only.

I'm using 2 strands of yarn- a variated brown and a solid deep green.

But now I'm looking at pics.  It seems people prefer to make scarves length-wise instead of width-wise as I've been doing.  Is there a reason for that or is it just preference? 

the only reason I can think of for working lengthwise is that no matter how much yarn you have you can make a decent-looking scarf.  if you start widthwise and run out of yarn you might have a stubby looking scarf that isn't very attractive.  if you go lengthwise and run out you will have a long thin scarf that probably looks better when worn.  

I think I discovered another possible reason width-wise isn't favored.

I'm about half way finished so I draped it behind my neck and it's too ??? stiff.  It doesn't drape properly.  But it's also just an awkward width, I think.  It's too wide to just go around your neck, but it's not wide enough to fold it.

I guess I'll restart it tomorrow lol

Stiffness and not draping is probably not due to the direction you worked.  Generally this is caused by the gauge being too small.  You can experiment with larger hooks until you get a fabric you like, that has the drape you want.  Gauge is sometimes also called tension.  If your stitches are too tightly made, the fabric will be stiff.  

Dagnabbit.  I love my tight stitches and "H" hook lol

Everything else feels very awkward.  I've only really ever made afghans and throws (lapghans?) and if the loops are loose, I always think it would be too airy.

I'll play around some though.  I do have other hooks (3.50, "K" and "N")

Thank you for all of your help  :hug

Did I say I LOVE my "H" hook and tight stitches?!  :oops

My index finger and swollen knuckles thank you, Kathy.  You have no idea how much better my hand feels after I truly gave my "K" hook and loose stitches a chance.

I get blisters on top of blisters (on one spot lol) from crocheting.  My knuckles get so stiff I can sometimes barely fully open my hand.  If I continue with what I now know, I think you've saved me from lots of future grief!!!

As for the scarf... I decided to also work length-wise.  I've continued with the ridged ripple and I like it a lot better.  I read somewhere that someone was working with a chain of 200.  That seemed too long for me, so I just worked 10 sets of 14.  It seems like it will be a nice length.

Do mens scarves usually gave fringes?

Thanks again for all of your help  :manyheart

I agree, I think the pattern you picked would work better lenthwise in appearance and drapewise.  The number of chains depends on your tension etc.; "they say" a scarf should be as long as you are tall, but could probably be a little shorter.  Nice, manly colors!

Fringe is a matter of taste, and if the scarf ends up a little short it will help to add to the length ;)  Cut the fringe longer than you want and trim even.  I've found that too-short fringe pulls out easily; don't forget that a bit of the fringe length will be taken up by the knot.

Thank you Granny and Kathy :)

How wide should I make the scarf?

I've gone through 1 skein of each color (crocheting them together, double crocheted).  I'm going to pick up at least 1 more, each.  It's too thin for my preference so I'd like to work at least a couple more rows.

I ended up googling scarf width recommendations and found out that mens scarves should be 8-10 inches wide.

I finished the rippled scarf and put a small fringe on it.  I don't really like it though.  So I made a very basic scarf- one strand of yarn, using the green that was left over from the other scarf (after buying a second skein).  It's 200 chains long, double crocheted, ridged but basic.  No fringe.  I like it best :)

I'll take a couple pics before I give them to hubby tonight.

Here are the finished results:

The pics of the variated colored scarf didn't take, but it pretty much looks like the other one I posted... only done length-wise and with a short fringe.

The green scarf is folded over itself.

I LOVE how the bag turned out.  I also know how to make basic hats now   :rofl

I started it like a coaster... 12 dc into the center, followed by 2 dc into each of the chains to end, followed by 2 dc, 1 dc, to end 

Then 1 dc, 1 dc, 2 dc alternating to end

Then 1 dc, 1 dc, 1 dc, 2dc to end.

Then I sc a row having 71 chains (?) at the end of the row.

From there I just dc until the second to last row when I then switched to triple crochet.

I wasn't sure about the ripple.  I would have liked to play with it a little more but I JUST barely had enough yarn.

I made the ripple by crocheting 4 triples into a stitch, then slip stitching the next loop.  I alternated that way until the end of the row.

Hubby liked the ridged ripple scarf best but wished it was longer.  So, I guess I know what my next project for him will be :)

post-68080-0-19961100-1377145940_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-04076500-1377145949_thumb.jpg

post-68080-0-76762900-1377145959_thumb.jpg

Archived