Babys' Abc Blanket

crochetlady2012

Question

Good Morning!

I have never had to do a pattern w/o any written instructions.  This pattern is all graphed with very little written instructions. Can someone please tell me what I should I do? Also, can someone please tell me if there is a written pattern somewhere out in the crochet world that I could have someone send to me?

Thanks for all your help,

Meli

5 answers to this question

I've seen one that uses puff or popcorns to form the letters, but would be the same idea.  I'd think it would be a pain to try to follow a written pattern to create a picture, or in this case text.

The 'hardest part' would be the first few rows (lots of counting).  Once you've established the columns of puff stitches that outline each letter, the counting gets easier - you count puffs in relation to nearby ones, you don't have to keep counting from the beginning.  Here's the pattern I was thinking about:

http://www.crochetnmore.com/babysabcsafghan.htm

Here is another one, it's similar but she's written out the first few rows.  Really, as I said once you get started the chart would be easier to follow.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/abc-bobble-blanket

I think you will be fine!  If you have questions once you get into it, come back here!

Hints for reading charts:

Work from the bottom.  Your piece grows that way, if your piece is oriented the same way as the chart you won't be as apt to get lost .

Read all the odd rows one way (example right to left), all even rows the other.  You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to this.

Everybody has their own way to mark completed rows, this works for me and also tells me which way to work next if I put the work down:  After a row, I put a tick mark alongside the last stitch worked.  All the odd rows will have tick marks (example) on the left, even rows will have ticks on the right.  (I just realized it will be more obvious which direction you should work in this project, but for filet for example, which is reversible, it's more critical to keep track).

I like to cover the rows ABOVE the one I'm working on with a ruler.  That way what I see on the chart are the rows I've worked, which matches my piece.  It's easier to count that way, you can count not only between puff stitches on the same row, but from the row(s)below.

Have fun!

I think you will be fine!  If you have questions once you get into it, come back here!

Hints for reading charts:

Work from the bottom.  Your piece grows that way, if your piece is oriented the same way as the chart you won't be as apt to get lost .

Read all the odd rows one way (example right to left), all even rows the other.  You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to this.

Everybody has their own way to mark completed rows, this works for me and also tells me which way to work next if I put the work down:  After a row, I put a tick mark alongside the last stitch worked.  All the odd rows will have tick marks (example) on the left, even rows will have ticks on the right.  (I just realized it will be more obvious which direction you should work in this project, but for filet for example, which is reversible, it's more critical to keep track).

I like to cover the rows ABOVE the one I'm working on with a ruler.  That way what I see on the chart are the rows I've worked, which matches my piece.  It's easier to count that way, you can count not only between puff stitches on the same row, but from the row(s)below.

Have fun!

I just wished I had a written pattern to follow.

Archived