Is there a tool?

chsarrow

Question

I have made baby blankets from cotton and want to put crocheted edgings around them using

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/crochethook/patts/baby.html

My question-- :thinkIs there a tool that is used to make the holes I crochet into? Using a needle is so time consuming.:thumbdown Surely there are other ways to do this. Any ideas to save time (and my fingers) would be greatly appreciated. :clap

Thanks

Charlene

6 answers to this question

Another idea, and I haven't tried it, but it should work, using a denim needle run the piece through your sewing machine without any thread. This should punch the holes and you can adjust the spacing and depth. Just an idea, not tried and true though. The denim needle would be thick enough to leave a hole I would think.

That's a really good question and addresses an issue I have. I'd like make some towel toppers but using a needle my spacing is horrid. I have a sewing machine but I can't sew a straight line to save my life. :blush Think the quilter's spur would work on a dish towel?

I don't know if the quilters tool will work since I am the one that posted the first question. I just wanted to tell you how I was taught to sew straight. Place a piece of masking tape on the floor of the machine the length (5/8", 1/2" etc.) you want the holes to be from the edge of the material. This is what I had to do until I got a plate to fit my machine that already had the measurements marked. Then just keep the edge of the material even with the tape!:lol

:hook Lay your cloth on a thick cardboard or cork mat, and using a large, clean nail, make your holes evenly spaced around the edges.

:hook To keep the line straight, sew a line of stitches along each edge before you make the holes.

:hook Pull the thread out before you start to crochet the edging.

Have fun.

Colleen.

Archived