Wave patterns

Jones

Question

I have been doing the ripple for some time, but now I'm interested in the wave look rather than it being so pointed. All the patterns I've done in the past have used the single stitch but, everything I have found for the wave pattern calls for double crochet stitches. Do they have to have the double crochet in order for it to work? I tried double crocheting years ago and I wasn't any good at it. I know it takes practice for any of it but right now I'm working on chemo blankets and I just thought if the double crochet stitch wasn't necessary, I would try that pattern using a single stitch instead and maybe try double crocheting when it isn't for someone else. Thanks for your time!

7 answers to this question

I found one.  it uses sc/ch1 for the hills and sc5tog for the valleys.  It is in the book 200 Ripple Stitch Patterns by J Eaton.  the specific pattern is #24 Arctic Waters; #25 Windermere is the same thing only in different colors.  On amazon you can see thumbnails of the st patts on the Look Inside feature, actually also some of the patterns are shown http://www.amazon.com/200-Ripple-Stitch-Patterns-Exciting/dp/089689276X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374378732&sr=1-1&keywords=200+ripple+stitch+patterns

You should be able to get this book  thru your local public library.

Also, i  agree with Mary, practicing the double crochet sttich will enable you to use many more stitch patterns.  Here is one tutorial that I think is very good, with a very clear, short, video http://www.nexstitch.com/v_double_crochet.html

Thanks to both of you! I'll check those links out. Yes, I really should try it again. Who knows, it might do better this time and I won't know if I don't try. Thanks again!

I found one.  it uses sc/ch1 for the hills and sc5tog for the valleys.  It is in the book 200 Ripple Stitch Patterns by J Eaton.  the specific pattern is #24 Arctic Waters; #25 Windermere is the same thing only in different colors.  On amazon you can see thumbnails of the st patts on the Look Inside feature, actually also some of the patterns are shown http://www.amazon.com/200-Ripple-Stitch-Patterns-Exciting/dp/089689276X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374378732&sr=1-1&keywords=200+ripple+stitch+patterns

You should be able to get this book  thru your local public library.

Also, i  agree with Mary, practicing the double crochet sttich will enable you to use many more stitch patterns.  Here is one tutorial that I think is very good, with a very clear, short, video http://www.nexstitch.com/v_double_crochet.html

I just ordered this book. This way, I'll have it when and if I need it. Thanks for the information!!!

Im currently doing a wave pattern for the first time in a scarf I'm making, I've included a pic of the project so far so you can see what it looks like and if it is the kind of wave effect you are looking for. 

post-67796-0-43819600-1374609580_thumb.jpg

It is a very simple one to do, and is found on page 70 of Betty Barnden's "Handbook of Crochet Stitches", a book that I have truly loved having to hand at all times. 

I won't explain the pattern here because I don't know if it is allowed, but basically it is done in the double crochet stitch, however the method that gives the waves I'm sure could be adapted to single crochet if desired, and is worked on a basis of a multiple of 8 stitches, so it can be done as wide or narrow as you want, mine is 24 for example for a scarf width of 7".

As others have said, I'd definitely add to the encouragement to try dc again, I'm a newbie crocheter and once I got the hang of it, it has become my favoured stitch for its ease. 

Im currently doing a wave pattern for the first time in a scarf I'm making, I've included a pic of the project so far so you can see what it looks like and if it is the kind of wave effect you are looking for. 

attachicon.gifwave stitch scarf.jpg

It is a very simple one to do, and is found on page 70 of Betty Barnden's "Handbook of Crochet Stitches", a book that I have truly loved having to hand at all times. 

I won't explain the pattern here because I don't know if it is allowed, but basically it is done in the double crochet stitch, however the method that gives the waves I'm sure could be adapted to single crochet if desired, and is worked on a basis of a multiple of 8 stitches, so it can be done as wide or narrow as you want, mine is 24 for example for a scarf width of 7".

As others have said, I'd definitely add to the encouragement to try dc again, I'm a newbie crocheter and once I got the hang of it, it has become my favoured stitch for its ease. 

That's the way I want it to look! I tried to double crochet again yesterday but I was "all thumbs". But, someday, I'll just get some yarn out and practice it rather than trying to do it while I'm making something for someone. Maybe I'll have more patience with myself if I just practice on something that's not important. Thanks for your information!

Archived