Help me! Alternating colors on the border of an afghan?

Kelsey Kathleen

Question

Hi folks! I'm new here, and in desperate need of help! Rnd 3 of these instructions are messing me up:

Border:
Join brown in any corner ch-4 sp (draw up a lp, ch 1).
Rnd 1: * Work 5 sc in corner ch-4 sp, sc in each st across side working (3 sc in ch-4 
sp, dc in seam, 3 sc in next ch-4 sp) in block corners; rep from * around; sl st in beg 
sc–692 sts.
Rnd 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in each st around, working 3 dc in center sc of 
each 5-sc corner group; sl st to top of beg ch-3--700sts.
Rnd 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc); working 3 dc in center of each 7-dc corner group, 
work 2 brown dc, 1 gold dc around; end working 1 gold dc; sl st to top of beg ch-3--
708 sts. Fasten off brown.
Rnd 4: * Ch 5, beg in 2nd ch from hook work (sc, hdc, dc, tr), sk 2 sts of border, sl st 
in next st; rep from * around; sl st in beg sc. Fasten off.

How the heck do you alternate colors like that? When was gold even introduced?

Here's a pic of the afghan so far: post-67456-0-45934000-1369323582_thumb.jpg 

And here's a pic of what it's supposed to look like with the border: post-67456-0-00306400-1369323649_thumb.jpg

HELP ME PLEASE. It's my boyfriend's birthday present, and he's picking me up tomorrow night!

4 answers to this question

I just found your pattern, there's a note in the beginning of the Sunflower Afghan pattern about changing colors of yarn, just the regular way of pulling up a loop in the stitch before.... good thing, too, because your question had me stumped as to how to get that yarn up high enough to make a dc... and I've only been crocheting for 50 years, sometimes the obvious just doesn't hit me, I guess... :confused

I'd carry your unused yarn under your stitches, and that switch of colors shouldn't show, hopefully.

Looks nice so far, he should love it!!

Boy that would be a pain to work that border!  I think I would just do 2 rounds of brown all the way around and then 1 round of gold all the way around.  Easy, peasy, lemon-breezy!

Hmmm... 700 stitches.... and changing yarn colors??? Ya think??

Funny how the "sample" doesn't look like there are two colors... I think they took the easy, peasy, lemon- breezy way out, too.

So would I.... and we won't tell the boyfriend either, lol.

Archived