Embroidery help for Amigurumi faces

Kittaly

Question

I just can not find any tutorials for Amigurumi faces, specifically eyes. I tried using small magic circles but they don't sit right when I sew them on. I tried satin stitching but honestly I suck at it and they looked awful not even close to being uniform an certainly not round or even oval.

I know I could figure it out if I could find some good tutorials, preferably videos.

5 answers to this question

Whenever I stitch crocheted features in place, I use pins to hold them where I want them to be and then I Whipstitch to the face- sometimes in the one loop around or sometimes around the both loops. Also helpful is using a curved needle such as a carpet needle. Sewing heads onto bodies, I mostly use the ladder stitch.

Also useful is using the satin stitch for eyes with 2 strands of embroidery thread. You need to go over the area a number of times, slowly and then outline it. A wonderful trick instead of doing the satin stitch directly on the face is to use a felt piece and satin stitch to the felt piece. When done with stitching, cut around leaving enough for you to sew with. You can then sew this to the head, further strengthening with glue underneath as you are stitching it.

Another method, is buying gesso and applying to the face where the eyes will be. This will give a smooth surface, and also can be sanded some more. When it is smooth to your liking, you can use acrylic paint and paint the features. I often blush with pastel pencils or eyeshadow or blush. Scotch guard is great to spray a little on if you don't want stains or marks.

When my kids were little and had new cabbage patch dolls, I sprayed scotch guard on the arms and legs to prevent dirt or marks from getting on them before they even started playing with them and it really helped.

Believe me, it takes practice and trial and error to figure out what you, yourself, prefer.-lol

Sorry, I don't get online every day.

The safety eyes aren't really child or pet safe though, and besides if I'm going make a doll, I'm going to MAKE a doll. I know a lot of people use them and to each their own but I feel like it's kind of cheating.

My first attempts at using the satin stitching didn't go well at all and I almost ended up ruining the head trying to remove the failed attempt. I will most defiantly try doing it on the felt first. That will at least help with not ruining the head if I don't like it.

And thank you so much for the scotch guard idea! My current project involve a couple of bears for my new nieces and I want them to be more then show pieces so anything that will help make them more durable is great.

Archived