Is this a chainless pattern? So confused! Please help!

SnuffyPop

Question

Hello friends! I am brand new to this board and pretty new to crocheting. I am still learning new stitches and patterns. I have a new one that I am so confused on. I think it's chainless, and I've never worked one of those. I'm so confused so any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!

Kris

Ch 2

In the first ch, sc 3 times

Sc in each of the 3 sc

Sc 3

In the next stitch (which was the first sc of the previous sc 3) 2sc. This is going to increase your row by one.

Sc 2 more for a total of 4 stitches. (4)

13 answers to this question

WElcome to the ville:hook

Agree with Becky, seeing the whole pattern would help a lot.

to me it appears there are some instructions missing, such as turning and making a turning chain, but I may be envisioning it wrong.  

I agree, I was thinking that some instructions were missing (turning being one). This is a baby cocoon. The bottom of the cocoon is sort of s triangle or tip. The pattern belongs to someone else so I am unable to post the entire thing. That is just the beginning, but hoping to get some input on how to start.

well, we can't ever post an entire pattern because of copyright and forum guidelines ---that is unless the poster holds the copyright.  

Is this pattern in a book, or from a blog, purchased on etsy, or what?  Someone else may have a copy of it to refer to if it is a purchased pattern.  

If you typed it exactly as it is in the pattern, then it seems to be written in a non-standard way.  As you read through the whole pattern, does the rest of it make sense to you?  Is there anything at the beginning like, turn and chain one at the end of every row?  

Are you making two flat triangles that will be seamed together to make the cocoon?  Or do you think it is made in the round?  

The "increases your row by one" makes it sound worked flat.

Was this copied by hand, maybe, by someone who took a lot of stuff for granted? (I'm guilty as charged of doing that when I'm writing down a few lines to take with me. They would be no help to anyone else.)

If you have a picture of it, that might help.

This isn't so much chainless as just the way you start a bottom-up triangle piece. I love chainless foundations, mind, and I'm pretty sure there's a video on here to show you how they work, but this sounds more like "whoops, I forgot to write down "ch 1, turn" at the end of the row."

I purchased this pattern on etsy, and copied the beginning word for word on here. It's a pea pod baby cocoon, so it's starting from the point of the pod. The entire pattern is written without things like "turn", so with me being a beginning crocheter it's a little confusing.

I really appreciate all your input! :o)

Well i hope you can get through it!  Too bad the etsy seller didn't write more clearly.  If you have more questions as you go along, you might try contacting the seller for help.  Otherwise, do feel free to post questions here and we will do our best to help.  A link to the etsy page would help, so we can at least see the photos of it to see the shape etc.  

I am going to disagree here and say I "think" this is worked "in the round. 

And yes, it does seem to make some assumptions, but without a link to the pattern to "see" the finished garment hard to be sure.   Skipping my soapbox routine on patterns having skill level assessments....  and

Knowing full well the definition of "ass-u-me"

It sounds like part of the "design" is to have the bottom come to a "point'

Again assuming there was something particularly unique in this pattern - it may just be that you need some help understanding the skills needed.  With that thought in mind, it may be useful to take a look at some simpler versions of the cocoon patterns done "in the round" to help understand the concept.

Or, it may be that you need to get a visual understanding of "in the round" without "turning"  or "joining - working as a "spiral".

If you are comfortable with the basic stitches - then you may find this

Please be sure to use a stitch marker (one of the things it sounds like the pattern author may have neglected to mention)

BTW if this is the first time you are using a stitch marker, remember, for crochet they need to be the type that are or can be opened to remove, not the closed rings commonly used for knitting

It might also help to take some scrap yarn  and a size or two larger hook so you can practice and watch the process.

Now take a deep breath, go back to your pattern, take that leap of faith doing what it says, with the addition of your newly acuired on how to work in a spiral and use a stitch marker. 

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

I understand working in the round, as I have made several hats and cocoons this way. This pattern just didn't seem intuitive enough for me to make that connection. The pointed bottom is throwing me off I guess. I will give it another shot and let you guys know how it goes!!

Thanks again!

Kris :o)

If you do need additional help, please do share a link to the pattern where it is for sale on etsy.  If we can see the finished item it is often much more possible first to understand the help you need and second to give better assistance

I can't post the entire photo because it is not mine to share. However, this is the beginning portion of the pattern. It's the stem of a pea pod. I just can't get it started correctly.

Thanks again for all your help!post-67342-0-78264900-1369163401_thumb.jpg

Although a link to the etsy listing and hopefully the photo there, would likely make it easier to help you.

I am sticking with this appears to be work in the round AND as a spiral.  Thus no "ch 2 and turn" or other such direction.

It may be that this is a pattern where some indication of skills needed and the necessary skill level would have been helpful. 

Lacking sufficient information, my advice is to follow each step one at a time, for at least a few inches and see how it develops.

It is not uncommon for things to look a mess in the beginning and then suddenly "straighten out"

Hopefully that will be the case

Archived