Breezy-T gauge problems

Beaglelady

Question

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/breezy-t

Thought this to be cute which it is. (Working on  38-41 bust size)   However I'm having problems getting the gauge and I've restarted it 3 times already.  G hook - started it, frogged, started again with looser tension, frog again.  Went to an H hook.   Started, frogged and started again.   Width okay, but by the time I get the 40th row done - instead of 14 1/2", it's about 11" long.   I figure my options are:  to scrap it all totaly and sell the thread.   Just 'add' rows to get the length needed.  Loosen the tension more OR go to a J hook which more than likely will  really make it look bad.   :shrug

8 answers to this question

Assuming you are using the thread suggested

Using the H hook, are you happy with the drape/hand of the fabric so far?

Is the width you are achieving correct for the size selected ?

Are you willing to purchase additional yarn to complete the project?   You can always use the extra to make a matching something like a belt or scarf or cap in pattern. 

More than likely, I will just add more rows to get the length.   If I need to buy more thread, so be it.  I probably can judge how much more I'll need if any, when I get the back done, to figure out if I need any more.   Thanks!

From the school of been there done that,

I just want to be sure you are also checking the width of the back is correct according to the schematic in the pattern

You may need to had some pattern repeats across the rows as well.

If the problem is only the length now, I would crochet more rows, unless you don't mind having it shorter. I like the looks of this top.

I'll keep you posted how it comes out.  Got the back done, started the front.   Pattern is easy enough to do.   just was having problems getting the gauge with the "g" hook.   Using the H hook, not bad at all.   Using the color Plum, just for something different.

I added rows to the body, armholes and sleeves.   Came out pretty good if I do say so.   I didn't care for the one round of SC on the neckline so I did a second round using fan stitch.  Add a nice touch.  Need to get hubby to take a picture so I can post it.

From the school of been there done that,

I just want to be sure you are also checking the width of the back is correct according to the schematic in the pattern

You may need to had some pattern repeats across the rows as well.

Archived