pattern nelp

magnoliamommy

Question

Please help me. I am trying to make a towel topper and I have come upon a stumbling block. I have worked rows 1-29. These are instructions for the border: I am lost (where the text is in red). Could someone get me going on this part? Magnoliamommy

With right side facing, join white with sc in first st, sc in each st across, ch 2 (corner). Working in ends                  of rows, [ sc  in each of the next 3 rows sk next row] 7 times, sc in last row, ch2 (corner), working in starting  ch       on opposite  side of row 1, sc in each ch across,ch 2 (corner), working in ends of rows, [sc in each of next 3 rows, sk next row] 7 times, sc in last row, ch2 (corner), join in beg sc. Fasten off.

5 answers to this question

you are doing the border. sounds to me like you single crochet in 3 rows skip the 4th, sc in 5th, 6th and 7th row skip the 8th. so on and so forth until you reach the end  Chain 2 which will make your corner single crochet all the way acrossed  ch 2 for next corner the repeat 

Ater doing the first row instead of turning and  going back you will be working down the

one side, then going across the bottom using the free loops on the other side of the starting

ch  then going  up the other side.

What they said. 

The reason that they have you skip every 4th stitch is because sc stitches aren't exactly square, they are short and fat, so when you are going down the side, making border stitches at a 90 degree angle from the other stitches, the border stitches are oriented with their 'fat' side meeting the row's 'short' side, so you need to skip a stitch every so often to keep it from ruffling.

What they said. 

The reason that they have you skip every 4th stitch is because sc stitches aren't exactly square, they are short and fat, so when you are going down the side, making border stitches at a 90 degree angle from the other stitches, the border stitches are oriented with their 'fat' side meeting the row's 'short' side, so you need to skip a stitch every so often to keep it from ruffling.

Hey  learned something..... Go Me. Thanks Granny I didnt know that I just knew it was done that way not why

Archived