Heberdans node and crochet

needleworker

Question

9 answers to this question

My mother had a similar problem and she used a  yarn guide (sometimes called a yarn thimble) with some success - she even gave them as gifts to her fellow yarnists in the nursing home you may find this style better than some others.  She also had me modify of these with a leather thimble - which she found more comfortable.  I also made her leather fingers for her hook hand middle finger and that helped as well.

4640.jpg

I don't wrap the yarn on my left hand, so it slides under my palm for tension and slides over that knuckle. I know what nodes you're talking about because Mom had them. She did a lot of stuff by wrapping a Band-Aid over the node or by wearing a piece of moleskin padding (from the foot care aisle.)

I can't work with thread because of a similar problem, but padding doesn't help--trying to get good tension on the thread and hold a small hook (even with a bigger handle) just bothers my hands too much. I keep looking at thread rings, wondering whether those will help.

I have arthritis from the top of my head to the tip of my toes and everywhere else in my body.  I have Heberdens and Schmorls nodes in quite a few of my fingers and they twist every which way.  I crochet (and knit) the Continental way.  I believe that is what was referred to as the the "knife' way, and the American style is called 'holding it like a pencil"  I think there is a little less pressure on the hands and fingers if you use the Continental way.  You could try using a rubber finger that you can get in an office supply store or the leather quilter's thimble.  That gadget Wheat showed looks like it might help.

Archived