Need help with a pattern

cthiess

Question

7 answers to this question

Yes, that diagram is helpful!  And yes, the chain 3, turn DOES mean to turn your work, so that you can work on the next row.  When it says to do 2dc in top of turning chain, it means to put 2 dc in the third chain of the turning chain.  Hope this all helps!  If not, let us know!  Happy Crocheting!

Or maybe not...I thought I had it all figured out but I keep running into problems.   I do well with the first row and then I get all off...one time I was one stich short then the next time I was fine.  Then when I got to the next row I was one stick short...and when I do the 2 dc in top of turning chain it just sticks out funny...anyone have any tips or know what I am doing wrong?  Thanks! Here is my pattern:

Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook, *dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 3 dc in next ch; rep from * 3 more times, dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 2 dc in last ch; change to 1 strand each of B and C - 5 ripples at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, *dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc; rep from * 3 more times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch; change to 1 strand each of C and D.

Or maybe not...I thought I had it all figured out but I keep running into problems.   I do well with the first row and then I get all off...one time I was one stich short then the next time I was fine.  Then when I got to the next row I was one stick short...and when I do the 2 dc in top of turning chain it just sticks out funny...anyone have any tips or know what I am doing wrong?  Thanks! Here is my pattern:

Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook, *dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 3 dc in next ch; rep from * 3 more times, dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 2 dc in last ch; change to 1 strand each of B and C - 5 ripples at the end of this row.

Row 2: Ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, *dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc; rep from * 3 more times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch; change to 1 strand each of C and D.

When you put the 2dc in the top of the turning chain, are you putting them in the TOP, or at the BOTTOM of that turning chain?  If you put them at the bottom, it could turn it "wonky" and make it stick out.  Other than that, I'm just not sure!  Anybody else out there with an idea??

I'm making a similar wavy afghan ATM.  What it means is that when you get to the end of your row, you will be at the turning chain that started the row below.  Putting 2DC in that turning chain means that your edge will remain straight, rather than getting progressivelly narrower.

Ch 3, turn dc in first dc : This is your edge.

*dc in next 4 dc :  This is the downslope

dc3tog : This is your valley

dc in next 4 dc : This is the upslope

3 dc in next dc* : This is the peak

The repeating part is 10 stitches.  4 downslope, 1 valley, 4 upslope, 1 peak.  Repeat.

The edges are the tricky part of this.  The beginning of the row is 2 dc in one stitch, then the 4 dcs of the downslope.  At the end of the row, you'll have the 4 stitches of the upslope, then 2 dcs into the previous row's turning chain.  The edges are part of a peak stitch (2 instead of the normal 3).

It takes a couple rows for it to really come together, but don't be afraid to frog it if you need to.  I had to frog mine 4 times before I got everything right.  You can see it here:  http://www.ravelry.com/projects/alohadave/neat-ripple-pattern  Mine uses 2DC in one, and dc2tog instead of the 3DC in one and dc3tog that your pattern uses, but they work exactly the same.

Archived