A very confusing stitch please help me!

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

Hello, it's me again ^^;

I have recently got a book from the local library on how to look at all the abbreviations written out and how to do a few stitches that seem rather complicated. Once explained out, I have picked up the majority of them though...I have come to a stitch that I just can't get. I'm at the section now where there are stitches where you don't turn your work. I have mastered the crab stitch and I even wrote it down in a way that I would understand completely, for future references just in care i forget but, this one is driving me up the wall. 

It's called a crossed stitch in the book but it goes further on to explain that this is a crossed double crochet stitch. I have tried it in every way possible and I just can't get it, and I'm not suppose to turn my work according to the book so, I'm wondering is maybe the book might be wrong, or that I'm doing something completely wrong. There is no diagram (which is a surprise considering everything else has one) and I just can't seem to grasp how it's done. 

Your help is really REALLY appreciated! Thank you all that do help me if I can't get to you to quote you and do it personally right away. ^-^

6 answers to this question

Nexstitch has good tutorials on front and back cross dc , under fancy stitches here http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html What book are you using?

you have come to my rescue again, my good friend lol. the book I'm using now is called crochet in plain english by Maggie Reghetti. Thank you very much again for your awesome help! ^-^ I will definitely take a look into that!

You are very welcome :-) Crocheting in Plain English is one of my very favorite books!

OH SWEET!!! lol I was looking for one of the other ones that was mentioned in the thread in your signature but, it wasn't at the library at the time but, I could get them to bring it in for me lol, I have to go through the threat again for it lol. it was encyclopedia of crocheting or something to that effect, if it's good, i might go ahead and buy it lol. though, this one from the library is really good too ^-^

Did you figure out the stitch?  It's kind of like the "taking two steps forward, going one step back" mantra.  You're skipping a stitch, make a dc, and then back up to the skipped stitch to make a dc in there.  You can fold the stitch you just made (the dc to the left of the skipped stitch) so that you can easily insert the hook in the stitch and complete the dc.  I hope you found the help you needed from the link, though :)

Did you figure out the stitch?  It's kind of like the "taking two steps forward, going one step back" mantra.  You're skipping a stitch, make a dc, and then back up to the skipped stitch to make a dc in there.  You can fold the stitch you just made (the dc to the left of the skipped stitch) so that you can easily insert the hook in the stitch and complete the dc.  I hope you found the help you needed from the link, though :)

I did lol thank you for asking. I just decided to turn the work and do it like that, it looked like an actual cross stitch like SO many of the pictures I looked at to compare to my work lol. It looked way better when the work was turned. When is wasn't I did everything, starting the first one form the back, from the front lol and reversing it and even doing the same for the one in behind it that I had stitched. None of it looked the same, it was a tangled mess and it knotted a few times, luckily I always have a sewing pin in my drawer for small un-knotting tasks like that with anything I use lol. That and it didn't even look like it had attached to the work a couple of times, the back stitch or the front was completely disjointed from the work (don't even ask how I did it, I couldn't even tell you if I tried lol) so I just turned it and went that way lol. 

Archived