blocking vs starching

ksnana

Hi everyone, I've made a bookmark that i will be blocking using a vinegar solution but i was wondering if i should also use some type of stiffener. I have starched snowflakes before with good results but I'm hesitant to starch the bookmark because i don't want it to be so stiff. Forgive me, i guess what I'm trying to ask is will blocking be enough to give it a little "body" or do i need to starch it also? I don't have access to an iron right now so i wouldn't be able to use a spray starch. Any help with this is truly appreciated. Thank you!

Posted from Crochetville.org App for Android

I don't think I've ever heard of using a vinegar solution for blocking. Usually, I just hand wash whatever it is with a drop of soap to (wash out the sizing), roll it up in a towel to absorb the water (this still leaves the crocheted piece moist or damp)

You don't need an iron with spray starch. For items that I want to hold their shape but not be stiff - I'll lightly spray, work the spray into the piece and then lay out and pin to block. You just let it air dry.

You can air dry without starch but it's pretty floppy.

I don't think I've ever heard of using a vinegar solution for blocking. Usually, I just hand wash whatever it is with a drop of soap to (wash out the sizing), roll it up in a towel to absorb the water (this still leaves the crocheted piece moist or damp)

You don't need an iron with spray starch. For items that I want to hold their shape but not be stiff - I'll lightly spray, work the spray into the piece and then lay out and pin to block. You just let it air dry.

You can air dry without starch but it's pretty floppy.

Hi, I read about the vinegar while searching for a crochet pattern for a bookmark. It's just 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water. I hadn't heard it before either but used it hoping it would firm up the bookmark. I just checked on it and it really didn't do anything for it. It's floppy. Thanks for the tip on the spray starch. Didn't know I could use it without ironing. I love this site. So many smart people! Thanks again.

You're welcome.

If it was mine - I would wash it and block it again.

What's really cool about the spray starch is that you can use a little for a light blocking or you can really soak down a piece and let it soak in for a heavy stiff block.

I tend to use the powdered Argo starch for bigger pieces or when I wash and reblock the doilies I have out. It goes further.

You're welcome.

If it was mine - I would wash it and block it again.

What's really cool about the spray starch is that you can use a little for a light blocking or you can really soak down a piece and let it soak in for a heavy stiff block.

I tend to use the powdered Argo starch for bigger pieces or when I wash and reblock the doilies I have out. It goes further.

I'm taking your advice and redoing it. I don't have the powdered Argo starch but I do have corn starch which is what I used on snowflakes last Christmas. They turned out great so I'll use that again. Thank you and hope you have a wonderful day...Margo

I always wash my doilies, pin them out when wet, then spray them with spray starch. Normally I just do a light spray as I really only want them to have some body to hold their shape well. I don't want them stiff and rigid.

That is what I would do on your book marker.

I always wash my doilies, pin them out when wet, then spray them with spray starch. Normally I just do a light spray as I really only want them to have some body to hold their shape well. I don't want them stiff and rigid.

That is what I would do on your book marker.

Yes, thank you. I'm going to lightly starch it as I don't want it too stiff. It's for a birthday present so I really want it to look nice. "sigh" now if I could only find a pattern for a doily with an angel motif...I've been looking but no luck so far. Thank you, have a great evening!

Archived