Leaning DC

nanasaidso

Question

Making the Sunshine Baby Dress from the Spring 2012 Crochet Today Baby and Kids Book. The pattern's alternates from rows of SC and chains, to rows of DC and shells, increasing the SC's each round (and consequently the DC's) to shape the skirt while keeping the same number of shells. It's worked in one piece from the neck down.

So, the shells form consistent lines down the skirt, while the rows of DC's are to make increasingly wider inverted triangles between the shells. My problem is that my rows of DC make the triangles lean. I sound clear as mud, I know. What I mean is that each new set of DC shifts slightly to the left of the one below even though the SC increase is done in the center of each set of SC's. I'm ending up with Leaning Tower of Pisa triangles even though I'm being very careful to work the SC's and DC's in exactly the right places.

Any suggestions?

4 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville:hook

Are you turning on each round? Even though the pattern may not say to do so, turning can cancel out the lean caused by stacking stitches all going in the same direction.

Yep, the lean is just the nature of crochet.

When you turn, your rows/rounds look like this

\\\\\

/////

\\\\\

/////

So the lean cancels itself out.

When you don't turn, keeping the same side facing, the rounds look like this

\\\\\

\\\\\

etc. so the lean is exaggerated and depending on the pattern can start to spiral or skew.

Archived