Inherited Crochet

I inherited through my husband's family some beautiful crocheted collars and trims from pre-WWII. They are in lovely colors, and are such fine work, and nobody knows who did them. I keep them safely put away, and periodically take them out and cherish them.

Lately, I've been thinking I really need to do something with them, but I can't think what. I've thought of having them professionally mounted and framed, but frankly that's not in the budget.

Were they yours, what would you do with them?

I would do the same as you...actually that is what I do, with the needlework i have inherited. Besides the cost of framing I worry that if they are exposed to light all the time, they will degrade.

Becky, I've often thought of doing that, but I honestly have nothing to put them on. They aren't the lace-type edgings you'd normally find for a lady's blouse or dress. You know what, though, and I can't believe I didn't think of it before, but I should take them shopping one day, and look for something specific to wear them with.

The same thing I have done with 2 very old cluny doilies I have. Safely packed away and taken out occasionally to admire, then returned to their safe places. They were made in an old Lace Mill here in PA, and are not replaceable. I had thought of framing them, but like Kathy said, I worry about dampness and sun damage.

Archived