Teaching Crochet

I don't know if this is the right place for this topic, but I had a question about teaching crochet.

I have a few friends that I'm teaching crochet to. One lady already crochets and is wanting to learn more advanced techniques; one lady knew how to crochet but had a mini-stroke and wants to re-learn (she's also left-handed and I'm not); another knows how to knit but wants to learn how to crochet.

Since the "class" is small, it's not too hard to teach at different levels, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips about what to teach and how to teach each person. For instance, what kind of projects would be good at each level? How does a right-handed person teach a left-handed person to crochet? Are there any commonalities between knitting and crocheting that would make it easier for a knitter to learn to crochet? What did you find easiest to learn and where did you go from there?

These and any other tips would be greatly appreciated. The class has been on hold for a couple of months, but we're starting up again on Saturday and I anticipate having to re-teach some things.

Thanks!

The woman who already crochets will need separate attention because she is probably not going to want to sit through learning the basics.

For the other 2 women, I would start at the beginning. How to put the yarn on the hook, slst, then making a chain. Working on tension making a chain. Sc, dc, hdc. How to ch up and turn at ends of rows.

For these 2 women, put the left handed one across from you, and when she watches you make a st, it will be correct for her. Your right hand should be across from her left hand. Put the knitter next to you and she will make her sts exactly the same way you do, because you'll be lined up side by side.

With the "righties", you can sit beside them and hold their hands through the motions.

With the "lefties", they are probably already used to doing things in mirror image already - at least all of them that I know who can already crochet (or they simply crochet right handed).

Simple projects that everyone can make, in relatively little time, would be a suggestion.

- face pads to wash with/ pot scrubbies (same thing as the face ones)

- eyeglass cases

- lipstick holder (teaches whip stitch when putting it together)

- cup cozzies (you can either teach them in the round or the whip stitch to put them together)

Something I've done with teaching crochet is to ask my students what they would like to make - short term and long term. For example if someone is wanting to make a blanket or a pillow, they can start out by making little sashays for popouri (mini pillow) and square coasters/ washcloths for making "small blankets".

Archived