Sierra Vista(AZ) anyone????

Dh and I will be in Sierra Vista(AZ) the last weekend in June. He will be in mtgs. Fri. evening and all of Sat. I have never been to Sierra Vista! I went to map quest to see if there were any craft stores....no Joann's, no Michael's and no Hobby Lobby!! :( So what is one to do in Sierra Vista??? Anyway live there, been there before???

I teach at the UA South there. There used to be some, er, quaint places to eat, but they've closed. So now they have a Chili's, some large Italian chain,--it's really not a great place to eat, unfortunately. It used to have a Hasting's bookstore and a Bookman's (the original, as Bob from Bookmans is from SV)--I'm not sure if they're still there (I've been teaching via television from Tucson the past 2 semesters).

If I were you, and you had a few hours to spare, and if you like the oudoors, go on to Fort Huachuca, and go hike in Garden Canyon. It's paved about half way, and there are a couple of picnic ramadas. Or you can go to the parade ground and see what an old 1877 Army fort would have looked like (it's a National Historic Landmark, so all the original buildings are intact and not covered over with modern fixes). Garden Canyon is a hot sport for birders because of the presence of Montezuma quail, and while this isn't prime birding season, there should be some nice ones in breeding plumage to look at. Miller Canyon is also a great place to hike (it's just south of the fort) on national forest. You used to just need your drivers' license and proof of insurance to drive on the fort, but you might want to check that now. They are used to birders and history buffs coming onto the fort to sightsee.

Kim Ba Woo restaurant on Fry Blvd. had excellent Korean bulgogi--I used to eat there once a week.

Or, take the car, drive the 90 minutes to Tucson, and visit one of our 4 local yarn stores, plus we have JoAnn's and Michael's.

I warn you--from the Empire Ranch exit until Huachuca City, it's a radio-free zone, at least in my car. So unless you have satellite radio, you'll hit dead air for quite some time.

Huachuca City, believe it or not, is a hotbed of dog activity because there's someone there who's built a pool and offers dock diving classes for dogs. I know people who drive all the way from Tucson to take classes with their dogs there.

Patty

I used to live in both Huachuca City and Sierra Vista and the highlight of my life was going up to Tucson to shop. When I used to live in SV there used to be a Michaels....hmm strange. I am envious that you are travelling to my old home town.....gl and I hope you find something fun to do while your husband is in meetings

I used to live in both Huachuca City and Sierra Vista and the highlight of my life was going up to Tucson to shop. When I used to live in SV there used to be a Michaels....hmm strange. I am envious that you are travelling to my old home town.....gl and I hope you find something fun to do while your husband is in meetings

I teach at the UA South there. There used to be some, er, quaint places to eat, but they've closed. So now they have a Chili's, some large Italian chain,--it's really not a great place to eat, unfortunately. It used to have a Hasting's bookstore and a Bookman's (the original, as Bob from Bookmans is from SV)--I'm not sure if they're still there (I've been teaching via television from Tucson the past 2 semesters).

If I were you, and you had a few hours to spare, and if you like the oudoors, go on to Fort Huachuca, and go hike in Garden Canyon. It's paved about half way, and there are a couple of picnic ramadas. Or you can go to the parade ground and see what an old 1877 Army fort would have looked like (it's a National Historic Landmark, so all the original buildings are intact and not covered over with modern fixes). Garden Canyon is a hot sport for birders because of the presence of Montezuma quail, and while this isn't prime birding season, there should be some nice ones in breeding plumage to look at. Miller Canyon is also a great place to hike (it's just south of the fort) on national forest. You used to just need your drivers' license and proof of insurance to drive on the fort, but you might want to check that now. They are used to birders and history buffs coming onto the fort to sightsee.

Kim Ba Woo restaurant on Fry Blvd. had excellent Korean bulgogi--I used to eat there once a week.

Or, take the car, drive the 90 minutes to Tucson, and visit one of our 4 local yarn stores, plus we have JoAnn's and Michael's.

I warn you--from the Empire Ranch exit until Huachuca City, it's a radio-free zone, at least in my car. So unless you have satellite radio, you'll hit dead air for quite some time.

Huachuca City, believe it or not, is a hotbed of dog activity because there's someone there who's built a pool and offers dock diving classes for dogs. I know people who drive all the way from Tucson to take classes with their dogs there.

Patty

Thanx for the info!! Dh and I were just in Tucson in May!! We stayed at the "Double Tree" on S. Alvernon. While hubby at mtg. my friend and I went to Joann's, Michael's and Starbucks(I think they were in the area of "Kolb"st, ave. ??? I forget. Anway, it was very easy to find, thank goodness.....I was the driver. That Sat. morning, while all hubbies were at their mtg. they bussed the wives over to the "miniature" museum. That was so neat!! My dh worked at "Tanque Verde"(sp)while attending U of A. I was soooooo happy to finally see the place as he has talked about it a lot!! I finally got to see U of A.....we didn't get to stop and walk around the University!! Is that allowed??

My dh was just appointed a new position with the Knights of Columbus(Catholic men's group), so this mtg. in Sierra Vista will have all the new "District Deputies".....and discuss what ever it is that they discuss. The Fri. mtg. is 5pm-10pm....Sat. mtg. from 8am -10pm.....so I will have a lot of FREE time. I'm hoping that the hotel/motel we stay at (the Supreme Council is paying room/board)is a nice place.....swimming pool, fitness room, restaurant, etc. I know I will take plenty of yarn, patterns, and of course, the laptop!! :hook Dh will get the info in the next few days. Anyway, thanx for all of the info Patty and MelznsluvsCrochet.....I appreciate it!! (P.S.--will be in Phoenix this weekend. will be at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel off of W. Dunlap(hubby has another gathering). will arrive at hotel bout 11. our plans(for fri. afternoon) so far are to enjoy their pool!! (i love been with my hubby......but i would sure like to go to joann's, michael's and hobby lobby there on bell rd.)!! :lol :lol

The Doubletree? You were a mile and a half from my house. :lol IO hope you walked around Reid Park and checked out the water birds in the little riparian water area behind the Hardesty midtown police station. A biologist I know got all excited when she saw a sora there a couple of February's ago. I've never seen it, but I'm a terrible birder (even though I love to go birding).

Of course you're allowed to walk around campus. And if you're our way again and near or on campus, may I suggest the Hopi Quilt show at the Arizona State Museum, which is running through September? It's at the west end of the large green mall that is the center of campus. The walk around the mall itself will show you some of the neat architecture at the university, several mini botanical gardening areas, and some pretty public art. There are also several good places to eat at the west end of the university, or inthe Student Union, which is on the mall, just east of Old Main, the original college building which housed the entire university when it started in the the late 1800s.

You missed Purls, one of our LYS, located just 1/4 mile east of Joann's and Michael's.

The Doubletree? You were a mile and a half from my house. :lol IO hope you walked around Reid Park and checked out the water birds in the little riparian water area behind the Hardesty midtown police station. A biologist I know got all excited when she saw a sora there a couple of February's ago. I've never seen it, but I'm a terrible birder (even though I love to go birding).

Of course you're allowed to walk around campus. And if you're our way again and near or on campus, may I suggest the Hopi Quilt show at the Arizona State Museum, which is running through September? It's at the west end of the large green mall that is the center of campus. The walk around the mall itself will show you some of the neat architecture at the university, several mini botanical gardening areas, and some pretty public art. There are also several good places to eat at the west end of the university, or inthe Student Union, which is on the mall, just east of Old Main, the original college building which housed the entire university when it started in the the late 1800s.

You missed Purls, one of our LYS, located just 1/4 mile east of Joann's and Michael's.

Oh my goodness......a mile and a half from your house!! We could have met at Starbuck's by Michael's. We will be there again in May of 2014(God willing). My friend and I were going to take a walk around the park, but time got away from us. These State Conventions, they have everything so "scheduled"!! Such as Bisbee, my dh just got his "itinerary". While the men are at their meeting on Saturday, there will be a bus taking the ladies(wives) down to Bisbee for shopping and lunch. I had heard we were going to go to "Tombstone", I was all excited for that, I'm an Arizona native and have never been to a lot of these "historical" places. My dh may take me down to Tombstone on the Sunday before heading home. So maybe May of 2014 we can get together!!

I love Bisbee. Very quaint, some good restaurants, cooler than Tucson--physically; the old hippy in me feels quite at home there. Mining tours if you're not claustrophobic. I recently saw an interview with the coffee shop down there that roasts its own coffee on Arizona Highways tv show on PBS. Looks fab. Great walking town, as the roads and stairways to walk up and down them are hilly--you can sightsee and get a workout.

Tombstone is touristy, but fun, so I always take out of towners down there. They are in dire straits for water, however, as the fires last year dismantled some the water systems used for firefighting, and there's a not-so-nice argument going on between the town and the feds. So don't start a forest fire while you're there!

Archived