Afghan Hook vs Crochet Hook

Hello, I have a question. Today I ran across a pattern that is calling for both a J/10 afghan hook and an I/9 crochet hook. I have the I/9 crochet hook, but what is a J/10 afghan hook? Is it just the next size hook or is this something special?

Kathy :)

A good question. An afghan hook is one that is a bit similar to a knitting needle with a hook instead of a point and no knob on the end. The difference is in length. An afghan hook is longer than an ordinary crochet hook. Also most afghan hooks don't have a thumb rest, so it's smooth and the same diameter through it's length. Now here's another one. What's the difference between an afghan hook and a Tunisian hook? I'm not so sure on that one except that the Tunisian hooks I've been asked to make are even longer and typically have a knob on the end opposite the hook head.

Hope that helps, and I'm hoping for to see more feedback as well, hopefully comfirming what I just told you.

Thank you Jimbo, that is pretty much what I was thinking it was, I looked for them on a couple of the shopping websites, but the pictures were not clear at all. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I have no idea about the Tunisian hooks either, I have been seeing some mention of Tunisian stitched items, but have not gotten to check them out to see what they even look like.

Kathy :)

A good question. An afghan hook is one that is a bit similar to a knitting needle with a hook instead of a point and no knob on the end. The difference is in length. An afghan hook is longer than an ordinary crochet hook. Also most afghan hooks don't have a thumb rest, so it's smooth and the same diameter through it's length. Now here's another one. What's the difference between an afghan hook and a Tunisian hook? I'm not so sure on that one except that the Tunisian hooks I've been asked to make are even longer and typically have a knob on the end opposite the hook head.

Hope that helps, and I'm hoping for to see more feedback as well, hopefully comfirming what I just told you.

A tunisian hook is an afghan hook. My Grandmother never called her hooks or her stitches tunisian - she always called it the afghan stitch or her afghan hook.

They come in all sorts of different lengths and have a stopper on the end. Some of them even have a (usually plastic) cord on the end with the stopper on the end of that for wider projects.

Since the afghan hooks are used to hold wide pieces (stitches are worked in rows instead of one at a time), the length of the hook needs to accomodate the width of the piece you are making (squares, strips or even the whole ghan) they come as a cabled version to hold a whole afghan. No thumb rests because it would create an issue with being able to slide the stitches up and down/off and on the hook.

Archived