carry along yarns?

dragonlord

I think she may mean to thicken it up to the weight of a 4 ply?? If that is the question, then yeah, but my experience is that a strand of sports or baby yarn and a strand of say eyelash or fun fur, works perfectly. Never tried two strands of novelty toghether though, but don't see why not, give it a try I guess, trial and error, is really the only way in crochet!!

I've swatched a good sized section of a worsted weight acrylic dark green, held together with a wide ribbon yarn of dark green, brown and gold. It is very manageable and gorgeous too. I had the idea of making a large bag with these 2, and it will work.

When I tried the ribbon yarn alone, then double stranded, all I had was a twisting mess.

There are some patterns out there for using novelty yarns alone, but most of them are for very open st scarves, scarflets or shawls, and don't appeal to me at all.

I have some more ribbon yarn put away that's shades of blue, so I plan to couple it with a medium to dark ww acrylic for another bag. I think it'll be stunning.

I find that swatching really helps when I don't know what to do. I pick the most likely hook size, chain a dozen sts, then work a row or 2 of sc. Next I do a couple rows of hdc, then a couple of dc. If these rows are not satisfactory, I go up or down a hook size and repeat the swatch. Eventually, it becomes what I am looking for.

Archived