best doily yarn

dragonlord

Question

3 answers to this question

Most doilies are done in "thread" not "yarn" unless you are converting the pattern into an afghan or other project.

There is almost as many thread selections out there as there are yarns.

I prefer America's Best and Aunt Lydia because they are softer and work very well for Irish crochet.

Alot of the other threads are stiffer. However the color choices are minimal in America's best, whereas DMC, J&P coats, and Aunt Lydias to mention just a few have a much larger variety of colors and shades.

In corporate quality training, they teach that there is no absolute definition of quality, or 'best'. Quality fits the spec. A solid gold pen with Unicorn blood ink is not better quality than a plastic pen, if your requirement is a cheap pen that doesn't leak and lasts a long time, and you don't care if you lose it.

I agree with Carol, America's Best & Aunt Lydia's cotton are inexpensive but very nice for doilies. I picked up some unmercerized thread by accident (DMC I think, not sure) and it was horrid - make sure whatever you find is mercerized.

I've used Aunt Lydia's bamboo on 1 doily, it worked out OK but it was very limp. I'd use it again but some might not like it.

Doilies don't get a lot of wear and tear, they just sit there for the most part. If you want a thread item (like a table cloth or bedspread) that needs to be rugged, the 'best' is Cordonett, but it's expensive It's got more plies than ordinary thread.

This site lists good-better-best threads. Lizbeth is cordonett and comes in lots of colors

http://www.hhtatting.com/category_results.cfm?Category=5

Archived