Photography props

My sister is a photographer and talked me into making some newborn photography props.

She assured me that crocheters that made these were hard to find. So I decided to go ahead and help her out. She wants me to open my own etsy store and sell what I make. BUT after looking around there are TONS of us hookers that make these things. Kind of seems like I will be a small fish in a small pond once I start.

On the other hand I have some SUPER CUTE pictures of squishy babies in the things I have made.

Here is my facebook page for the props.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Treats-Boutique/108997869228698

Those squishy cute baby pictures aren't copyrighted to you. If a photographer released pictures of my child to be used in sales at a store I've never heard of I would be FURIOUS! If it's your kid or your friends kid - go for it but if you're planning on using pictures from people who are expecting some level of privacy - that can potentially open a big can of worms for you.

One of the problems with etsy is that it's mostly a crafters market place. Some people have carved out the knitch with selling finished items but there's sooooo many of them that it's hard to get noticed.

I thought about doing the same thing as I've started making photo props for a photographer friend of the family. I decided to just let her refer her clients to me if they like the hats and things. You do wonderful work, I'd start with word of mouth and work local, then maybe as you build a client list, start an etsy shop for organization purposes, but like RoseRed said I'd be really careful on the picture use.

Archived