carrying color along

fruggs

Question

i was attempting to make a granny square from a vintage coats and clarkl eaflet called "afgans(book no 127) " my mom gave me called "golden grain...B-248" you work with two colors the whole time working one over the other without finishing off.

How do you do this without the other color showing through? i attempted these directions but :think

the little note says

"always work over thread of unused color and carry it across the section bieng made."

it then gives directions on how to do this, which i tried and the wrong side looks very messy. maybe i am doing it wrong, but here are the directions for a ch

"to ch over unused color bring unused color between loop on hook and color in useand with color in use make the ch."

for a dc or tr

"with color in use, complete a dc or tr to the point where 2 loops are left on the hook, bring unused color foreward between loop on hook and color in use and with color in use complete the stitch"

any ideason this to make it look good on both sides or how to carry the other color along a different way?

thanks sooo much.

2 answers to this question

When I am carrying a color along, I usually just let it lay on top of the previous row and work my stitches over it (anchoring it). Depending on the colors being used, I do not know of any way to carry a color along, without it showing to some degree, especially if you are using contrasting colors or a light and a dark together.

From looking at graphed afghan directions and such, the general rule of thumb, I believe, is not to carry a color more than 5 sts.

Hope this helps.

Archived