Yarn on Ebay - need to vent

:angryI am soooooo mad.....I am trying to get a lot of a favorite yarn that is very hard to find and this woman? has outbid me twice. I think she's going to repost it later - if you read her 'me' page she says how she's been getting rid of stuff, then why are you trying to get the yarn I want????? Anyway, I checked and she's not a c'viller so I guess I'll have to wait until the end and see what's going on. I want to make my daughter an afghan with this yarn for her bed - she's crazy about the color and we just can't find it anywhere. I had placed an order to Herrschnerr's, but receieved a letter saying it has been discontinued. We are on a really tight budget and I can't afford to pay much for it. What's a girl to do????:think

The yarn is Red Heart Soft, in color #7966 Water Lily (some people think that water color is the same, but it's not) this has some pink in it. It's gorgeous and I really want to surprise her with an afghan. If anyone out there has any, I'd be willing to buy, trade or ??? for it. Just pm me. Anyway, here's the link to the auction if you are so inclined to check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8217960933

Just needed to get that off my chest. thanks

I know how depressing it is to be outbid on something you REALLY want. But my experience with buying yarn on ebay is that, even if you get it for a really good price, they overcharge for shipping. I checked, and for that auction I would pay almost $10 in shipping, and that's not much of a bargain anymore.

I went to Joann's website http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82320&PRODID=111815 and put 10 skeins in my basket. Nothing came up saying that they didn't carry that color anymore. Shipping was $7+. Their price was something like $3.18 a skein.

I know, you didn't really want to spend that much. I just thought I'd let you know that it's out there. Good luck.

JoAnn's has free shipping today and tomorrow! You may end up with a better deal there than ebay."Use promotion code SEPFSH50 for free standard shipping on your order through Wed., 9/14/05 11:59 pm PT. "

thanks for the link mudpie, unfortunately when I go to joanns the color "water lily" never shows up, only water color which is different. I tried every search I could think of and no luck :think I wonder if that has to do with our geo location??

Anyway, thanks for the help everybody.

Try to snipe it, unless, of course, it's already out of your price range. Just wait till the last 20-30 seconds (depending on your connection speed) of the auction and enter the absolute maximum price you're willing to pay. If you are able to outbid her current max, she may not have time to come back and outbid you. There are also snipe services, some with free trials. I did a three-second manual snipe once:devil (just lucky!).

Bid once, bid late, and bid your max. The theory is that it is human nature to "one-up" each other when two people are competing for the same thing, but the snipe takes that out of the picture and helps keep the price reasonable (usually). It is nerve-wracking, but oh, what a rush when you win the auction.

Try to snipe it, unless, of course, it's already out of your price range. Just wait till the last 20-30 seconds (depending on your connection speed) of the auction and enter the absolute maximum price you're willing to pay.

Bid once, bid late, and bid your max. The theory is that it is human nature to "one-up" each other when two people are competing for the same thing, but the snipe takes that out of the picture and helps keep the price reasonable (usually). It is nerve-wracking, but oh, what a rush when you win the auction.

I agree. If you want something bad enough that is how you have to do it. Give them no time to bid back. I know it sounds mean, but well, they'd do it to you too. Besides, all is fair in love and yarn-war.:devil

And you're so right....oh what a rush:lol

Okay, I found it at Joann's - It's under the TLC type now - it looks the same and I'm gonna go for it - I got 5 skeins for $16.75 FREE shipping :woo

Zingyzoid/mudpie You gals are terrific - thanks so much.

don't know why I couldn't find it there before, i've looked several times. anyway :hug:hug:hug:manyheart to you both

deb

Archived