Mittens- Help Needed

I started a pair of thumbless mittens for a handicapped little boy. I am not using a pattern- just single crocheting in the round from the fingertips down. My son has been trying them on for me.

I've got the length for the hand and now I want to change my stitch pattern to look different for the wrists. I will also be working in some decreases to form a fitted wrist but I want it to have some give.

Worsted weight- solid color J hook (if that matters)

At this point I consider this to be worked inside out and will posibly be turning them before I start to work the wrists.

Any thoughts? I'd really appecriate it. I'd like to mail them by Friday- they are a Christmas gift.

one way to give wrists some give, is to work a BLO sc or sl st mock ribbing. (There are some great tutes, out there, somewhere, maybe youtube?). What you could do, is work the same number of rows as you have stitches in the last round, in BLO sl st (back loop only). If you prefer the BLO-sc, work a few less rows than you have stitches in the last round, so that it is a bit smaller. they should have plenty of stretch. And you can either join to the last round as you make the ribs, or hold the two pieces together after the ribbing is made, and sl st them together on the inside, if that makes sense.

HTH

Archived