Crochet help

luvstocrochet

Question

Okay so if I am going to chain let's say 30 and I want to do a single crochet, I am just going to chain one and go into the first chain from the hook? Is that right?

If I want to do a half double, chain 2 and go into the third chain from the hook?

Double is chain 2, go into 2nd chain from hook?

Triple? Can someone give me the rules to this please? Thank you so much!

4 answers to this question

I assume you are describing starting from a chain and not turning and starting a new row on existing work...

The turning chain is the way you bring your stiches up to the height of the new row.

Let's start with a small number, easier to visualize. Chain 5 for each example.

SC - make your first SC into the second chain from your hook. You have 3 empty chains left ahead of you, the first 1 chain is your turning chain. The turning chain does not count as a stitch.

HDC - tricky because some patterns tell you to chain 1 and don't count as a stitch (like sc), other patterns say this: make your first HDC into the third chain from your hook. You have 2 empty chains left ahead of you, the first 2 chains are your turning chain. The turning chain usually counts as a stitch.

DC - make your first DC into the fourth chain from your hook. You have 1 empty chain left ahead of you, the first 3 chains are your turning chain. The turning chain usually counts as a stitch.

TRC or TR (triple) - make your first TRC into the fifthth chain from your hook. You have 0 empty chains left ahead of you, the first 4 chains are your turning chain. The turning chain usually counts as a stitch.

NOW...for turning and working into an existing row of stitches....

SC (and HDC if the pattern tells you to treat it this way) ch 1, turn, make your first stitch into the first stitch of the row. Make the last stitch into the last stitch of the row, because the turning chain does not count as a stitch.

DC, TRC and anything taller (including HDC if the turning chain counts as a stitch): chain the number needed for a turning chain, turn, make your first stitch into the SECOND stitch of the row. Reason? Your turning chain counts as a stitch, so it 'uses up the space' of the first stitch. Make your LAST stitch into the top of the turning chain of the row below - because the turning chain counts as a stitch.

Thank you for the wonderful explanation! It's nice to know people are so helpful!!!!! My mom is making a blanket using the double crochet going back and forth. Should she go into the same chain when she turns to start a new row? Her rows are uneven. She is not following a pattern. I told her if she knew how to read the patterns it depends on if you go into the first or second stitch. Thanks for your help!

If she's working on a piece that's all dc, to turn you would chain 3, turn, it will look something like this (the | is the chain3, the _ are the stitches from the row below

_ _ _|

The above is showing 3 stitches--remember you SKIP the first stitch, because the turning chain counts as the first stitch. So the first 3 counted stitches will look like this (I is dc, _ is the skipped stitch, | is the chain)

I I _|

You can see there is a little gap caused by the skipped stitch, this is normal. There are ways to avoid that, I don't want to confuse you too much at this point but the easiest fix if the gap bothers you is to use a chain 2 instead of chain 3. Remember, the point is to raise the stitch to the level of the work in a way that looks the best ;)

Now at the end of the row, the last stitch should be made into the top of the turning chain. It's easy to miss seeing where this is, if you use a stitch marker (you can buy then, but I use a bobby pin, or a safety pin, paper clip would work too) to mark the top of the turning chain until you are used to finding it.

There are many good tutorials out there, one I particularly like is http://www.crochetcabana.com, start with the 'basics' button, or DC specifically under the 'stitches' button. You and your mom might check there as Sandra's tutorials are very clear, with better pictures!

Archived