Portuguese Language Barrier

xaviera

Question

I tried to google for the following Portuguese crochet language translations information, but got nowhere.

Dobrar o trabalhar e fechar as laterais nos 6 cm inferiores, deixando a abertura para as cavas.

Google gave me: To fold the work and to close the laterals in the 6 inferior cm, leaving the opening for diggings.

Does laterais mean sides?

What is inferior?

Does cavas/diggings mean edging or seam?

Also, what is OBS short for? It's one of the headings (i.e. Pontos empregados, Execuação, Obs).

I wish Spanish and Portuguese were a tad more similar ^_^

3 answers to this question

My guess - and my Portuguese is nearly non-existant - that "laterais" means "sides" in this case - perhaps as in edges, from the context. "Inferior" would be "bottom" in this instance, would be my guess.

"Cavas" is the one I'm not too sure of. Maybe you can figure it out from context?

"Obs" I have no idea.

Sorry I can't be of any help!

Ok - so I was curious and I have a Portuguese co-worker. He was confused, so he called his mom. I guess this is more Brazillian Portuguese... her guess was that this is a shrug/ sweater.

Basically, they weren't able to help with the OBS... but said that CAVAS was refering to the opening of the sleeve on top of the shoulder. Usually, it does mean digging, though.

:think

Archived