Help the Penguins in Australia!!

A friend sent me this article today and it just touched my heart!! It's geared towards knitters but I'm sure they would gladly accept crochet work too as long as it is the same style :) Please help the penguins!! :cheer

http://animaltracks.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/20/8411051-a-good-yarn-knitters-make-sweaters-for-penguins-after-oil-spill?gt1=43001

Thx for the link and the article. Some points to note:

--sweaters (pullovers = "jumpers" in British/Aussie/Kiwi usage) MUST be made out of 100% wool yarn

--they will be mailed to New Zealand. The yarn shop organizing the drive is in Napier, New Zealand.

Wow. Is there *anything* yarn can't cure?!

DCM

:cheerThank you very much people but the Penguins have enough Jumpers for now.

:eekI think the links to the pattern etc went around the world very fast and the people dealing with the "oiled" penguins were very quickly swamped with tiny jumpers.:eek

Can I suggest that, if your urge to help is strong, you find a Human cause and make hats, slippers etc for people.

While it is great that we all want to help the tiny animals, people need help too.

Through the winter, I have been Crocheting slippers, beanies, bedsocks etc for the people of Christchurch who were devastated by the two huge Earthquakes of Sep 2010 and Feb 2011.

They are still living in damaged homes that were impossible to heat during winter so woollen beanies and footwear was much appreciated.

Thankfully, summer is just around the corner, in New Zealand, so the need will not be so great but there is always Premmie babies or Cancer sufferers who need help all year around.

My slipper pile will accumulate now so I will have a good lot to send off when winter strikes again next year.

I am sure there are people, all over the world, who would love to recieve a beanie, scarf, slippers or even a washcloth which is given with love.

:cheerI know that many of you already help making beanies for babies and Chemo hats etc so keep up the good work.:cheer

Thanks to all who take up my challenge.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, This is certainly not meant to sound critical of anyone's urge to help the Penguins it is more to urge people to help people as well as the animals.:hug

It's true that there is no end to the need for our help, whether those in need are two-legged mammals or four-legged mammals, or even birds. (I've seen chicken sweaters, for rescued battery hens who've lost all their feathers from stress and poor conditions, and of course now the oiled penguins. *sigh*)

Often when it's a question of basic, elemental warmth, wool or other natural fibers are requested. Please respect such requests. It's not exorbitant to purchase wool yarn (or some other natural fibers), esp. from discount Internet sources. Note: Although I'm strongly in support of LYS's as much as possible, there are times when--to preserve one's own budgetary integrity or to acquire a bulk order when several people go in on one order--an Internet source is the best or only way to go.

Here are a few merchants I've used who have good yarn prices and good yarn:

http://discountedbrandnameyarn.com (yarn prices are terrific; shipping rather $$, $7 off shipping for orders >$100)

http://knitting-warehouse.com (yarn prices are "OK"; shipping "OK")

http://knitpicks.com (good yarn prices, esp. on sales! shipping free for orders >$50)

http://smileys.com (terrific prices; minimum order = $50. Sample prices: Filatura Lanarota worsted weight 100% wool, 104 yards/$1.99 skein. Also $1.99/skein: Lion Brand Watercolors 35% merino wool, 65% acrylic. Want to make a special someone a hat for the holidays? ==> Filatura Lanarota Alpaca Cloud, 109 yards/$3.99 skein. Susan Bates crochet hooks, sizes E through K (no #7) $1.50 each. )

I haven't (yet) ordered from R&M Yarns, but anyone who sells Brown Sheep's "Lamb's Pride" for $4.00/skein (190 yards!) is worth looking into. :)

Think warmth, wool, winter, and wallet--all at the same time. :)

DCM

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't (yet) ordered from R&M Yarns, but anyone who sells Brown Sheep's "Lamb's Pride" for $4.00/skein (190 yards!) is worth looking into. :)

Think warmth, wool, winter, and wallet--all at the same time. :)

DCM

They are located about 25 minutes from my home. I've been in there once but just have not had a chance to go back by when they are open. (hours are a little off for me). But, they have a very nice selection! And the amount of $$$ I could spend in there and come out with some really nice selections is soooo tempting! One of these days, I'll make it back in there again (hopefully with a little $$ to spend)!

Archived