Unger Utopia

ragdollnikki

Has anyone heard of this worsted acrylic yarn before? I came across an afghan pattern using this yarn. It states that it comes in 3.5 oz., 240 yds per ball. The pattern is called, Ticking Stripe.

I have looked and looked online and find nothing or what could take the place of it.

Couldn't I use any worsted acrylic yarn?

Thank you.

I'd never heard of it, but after checking on Ravelry, I found that it has been discontinued. However, this appears to be the successor: http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/reynolds-utopia

If you are member at Rav, that will show you what the yarn looks like, and what people have used it for. I also searched the patterns for 'Ticking Stripe' and saw 2 afghans and one washcloth, but neither looked like it had to be a particular yarn.

That being said, unless there is a specific colorway, or striping pattern that would enhance the specific pattern, I'd go with what I prefer, heh. I don't know that I've ever used the recommended yarn in a pattern. Good luck!

..... I'd go with what I prefer, heh. I don't know that I've ever used the recommended yarn in a pattern. Good luck!

Me too -- rare that I complete a project with all of the suggested yarn. I have trouble finding it locally. Sometimes, I will order all of the yarn and get what is suggested, but even when I order, I usually look to see what is on sale. :)

Any worsted weight acrylic should work. I think I know the pattern you are talking about (In 40 Fabulous Afghans?) and it uses two colors to make the stripe so, you should not have to worry about any special effect yarn. Just a regular ww yarn will do. I usually just pick my favorite soft yarn for afghans. Right now that is usually I♥This Yarn from Hobby Lobby because it is inexpensive but soft.

Archived