Crochet Funk

I cannot get into anything! I started two shawls that I just didn't like.....made a freebee pattern shrug that looks like crap......bought a pattern for a shrug to make for someone and it didn't turn out either....have plenty of stash but not anything special or enough for a large project....low in the "funds" at this time so cannot make and send to charity(my favorite thing to do in the last year)....ugggg

Does this happen to anyone else? I pick up my hook and two colors...make a swatch and then put it down and grab my Kindle and read......

Yup - I'm just finally starting to come out of mine.

When I get into a funk like this I usually look at patterns or turn my attention to something else completely.

I changed the nature of my stash from a lot of little bits and bobs to buying in bulk so that when a pattern came up I'd have it already.

I'm in a funk right now too! I started a project for myself finally. Something that was supposed to be small, but fun, and I messed up on part of it and now.... I dunno! I have an afghan I'm working on for my boyfriend (flannelghan) but I haven't started panel 3 yet. I feel you on the funds thing. I'm a college student and I work part time so I don't have endless amounts of money to throw at my love for crochet. That means I'm stuck with buying at Walmart. They don't have the best selection. I want to make everyone an afghan already, but it's hard to pick out good, fun patterns for each person. Also, afghans are time consuming. Crochet is one of my few ways to be peaceful and when I can't find the inspiration it really puts me in the dumps. Thanks for posting this, it gave me space to rant about something that I hadn't really thought about 'til now! I do hope that things turn around and you can find your mojo again. Would the friendship-ghan CAL help?

I am so glad im not alone in feeling like this!!! It can last anything from 2 or 3 days up to 2or 3 months for me! I just dont force myself and I put away anything Im working on, I still go round all the websites looking at patterns etc and usually I find something that will inspire me again. I change the type of things I make too, I love amigurumi but it can be fiddly and time consuming so I will make an afghan or a baby hat or a scarf so it mixes things up and I have a variety of ready made gifts to hand! I hope your funk soon passes and you get back to crocheting with enthusiasm again.

OMGosh it really helps to hear from others! I think I am going to put my stuff away for a bit and spend some time looking at patterns and ideas. It would help me to take an inventory of my yarn and get more organized too(not one of my strong points)

Thanks a lot for "listening" to my post and replying. It helps.

Hi Janni, yep, we all have "dry spells" where nothing seems to grab our attention, and we can't find inspiration. I really hate those times, but the last one I had, I used the time to organize my craft room, and clean things in there, and moved a couple things around, and found a bin of ghans I had in the closet to launder before delivering them, and they have been delivered now, to the local nursing home, that and some hats and scarves sets. Then when the urge hits again, I have a nice clean organized space to contemplate in, plus, it kept me near my Yarn too in that down time. Im just seeming to get a bit more into it now, although still thinking about what to make so have done a few bookmarks for the ladies coffee group, and will do some soft cotton face puffs for the nursing home's bingo shop, a store full of goodies that whomever wins at bingo, gets to go into and pick a prize! That's where the

hats and scarves are going too, i Think. I don't mind, at least they'll have a great home! lol.

I too with mailing costs and such, have been donating more to local things, which is a bit cheaper, if they're close, and they are, and that way too, stays in the community!

Hope your dry spell passes, go to a yarn shop, and check out the yarn, see what's new and what you could do with it, then maybe buy one or two skeins, I bet that will put you back on the top again! Good luck! You are not alone!

Pile up all your swatches and make a pillow cover out of them! :)

Seriously...maybe you need some pattern variety, a bag of Goodwill yarn, or something completely new to you. Give it a break and look at something pretty in your area. I don't know where you are, but around here there are all kinds of free festivals going on over the next couple of weeks, so if you can get there you can watch antique boats running on the river, tour sternwheel boats, go to a huuuuge car show, see a Revolutionary War reenactment (and this year they're big on the music), see old farm equipment...by the time you don't crochet for a week or two, the urge will reappear :D

Archived