Crocheting Rag Rugs

My latest interest that has struck me recently is crocheting rag rugs. I've not done this, but because I want one and can't find one that I like I figured I should just make it. I just ordered some stuff from the internet to learn more, but I'm curious if anyone here has ever done it and how it was. I'm really excited about it.

I've made several rag rugs, mostly out of old tshirts. I've found that single crochet seems to work the best for them because to me it seems a more flexible stitch....you can increase easier & I think it plain just looks nicer, especially if doing any kind of stripe pattern. The ones I made were simple rectangles...just rowsa of single crochet back & forth, changing colors whenever one ran out. It was a little odd getting used to such a big hook (I used a P & Q) and it was a little tough on my hands (you need to really yank sometimes to pull a stitch through using tshirt material; not sure if you used cotton strips it might be different) but eventually I got used to it. They wash like a dream & have a lot of give to them. Fair warning.....cats & dogs seem to love them as much as we do & will likely claim them as their own. That's how I lost the one I made as a "sloppy mat" for outside the kitchen door....the dog & cat love it too much so now it's theirs.

Best of luck to you....let us know how you make out!!

Thanks so much. Luckily I don't have pets. I think I'm going to use some sheets. I'll buy inexpensive ones. I figure If I buy a rug it'll cost me a few hundred, so buying some new sheets will certainly be cheapter. Just curious how wide to cut my strips. Thanks for your input.

I really like rugmaking, crocheted & hooked. I usually use a cotton blend fabric & hdc. I have also used -shirts & recycled wool. Mom still has a cotton one I made her 5-6 years ago. And, Bellisima, is right, my cats love them & so does my sister dog. I use scrap fabric to make them "cat mats"

Alosha

I've made one out of old t-shirts and things like that. No particular pattern to the colors, just a big dc oval. I've been saving worn-out shirts for another one eventually, but I keep going back and forth--I might try to learn to make a braided rug instead when I have enough fabric.

Archived