A dying art

I learned to crochet as a child and picked it up again over the years, now and then. (I'm 60) In the last couple of years, I've been crocheting seriously. I crochet with yarn and thread both, even though I have hand issues. I wouldn't know what to do without crochet.

I think the market is growing, but I'm sorry to say local suppliers are carrying less yarn and fewer patterns.

I love to crochet and have been crocheting since the mid 70s when my mother and oldest sister taught me. They both have since passed away. I miss my crochet buddies. I do have a couple of friends (In Real Life to use the phrase that Breeze530/Bev used)who know how to crochet but just don't crochet much. Its an every day activity for me. I am a semi-shut (I don't walk very well due to arthritis in my spine) and also I just spent a year battling breast cancer so I love coming here to Crochetville. I have all kinds of crochet buddies here. I love to hear of younger women (okay, men too) who are learning how to crochet or have been crocheting for some time. It means the craft will live on for a long, long time. :jumpyay:woo

I think it really depends on the person and maybe where they are in the world. I grew up with my grandmother crocheting so it was always normal to me. I learned when I was 7 and I've been crocheting ever since. I used to crochet in high school like if we had a free day. I would get looks from my teachers like "how do you know how to do that?" then two other girls brought in their crochet stuff. It was fun to see other people who were into it. I don't think it's a dying art. I do however see so many copiers out there, who use machines or sweat shops to pump them out so quickly.

Archived