Ball winder question...

Just wondering if anybody can find one the makes larger balls then 50g. I buy usually 198g skeins but I hate how when your getting low you have to hand ball them, i would like to get a winder so I can just wind it up, and have it ready, plus the cones are super easy to work with.

So any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

I see a jumbo ball winder on Amazon that you might want to look at called the U-Nitt jumbo ball winder. It claims to wind a ball up to 10 ounces and might work for you. I don't have any personal experience with it but the reviews are fairly good.

There's an extensive discussion about *making* a yarn-ball winder here at Crochetville at http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127178 . One of the members is developing a "from scratch" model and will share his plans (either for free or for a nominal fee) when they're ready for a wider audience, whether beta testing or full release.

Maybe this will be another possibility for you to consider. :)

DCM

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly hadn't even considered the idea of getting an actual ball winder, but when I think of the hours I've spent untangling a skein of yarn and then balling it up by hand so that it wouldn't tangle again, a ball winder seems like Heaven!

Goodness gracious! I went to the only little LYS that we have in Bowling Green, and I bought a few hanks from them and they wound it into balls and I was shocked because I had no idea that even existed. I had never shopped at an LYS or bought hanks before. LOL.

I have so much to learn!

Archived