Pricing handspun yarn

dudleyspinner

Have any of you sold handspun yarns? I am still trying to figure out how to price it.

I have been selling handspun, hand dyed yarns for .25 per gram or $7.00 per ounce. That make is $25.00 per 100 grams.

Does this seem reasonable?

I get a bit of sticker shock when I tell people my price.

If you have any opinion or experience please respond.

Deb

Well, I'm not a spinner, but I'm a purchaser of handspun yarns, and I think that's reasonable. Handspun yarn is a work of art and makes for one of a kind items, and therefore must be more expensive than your average mass produced yarn. Good luck selling!

• 3 weeks later...

I sold a few on E-bay last year and was getting about $4 per ounce on average. Dissapointing in respect to how much work was in it, but it more than paid for the fiber which is what I was looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

I am an aussie spinner here i will spin someones fleece for $12.00 if it's clean and carded per 100gms. If i'm selling my own it's what it cost me dirty weight, $2 per kilo for washing/dyeing then add the $12 per 100gms for spinning ,Aprox $25.00 per 100gms spun and skeined. Alpaca is $15.00 as are any other exotic fibres. Like Mohair ,Camel ,Angora just for the spinning alone and that is dirty weight which is what you charge for if you have to pick,wash and card it all yourself.Good luck !

Archived