What is "chain 1"???

hermosakiwi

Question

15 answers to this question

To start off, you will have one loop on your hook (made with an ordinary slip knot) right? This chain is never counted. For chain 1 (or ch1), you put your yarn over the hook and pull it through the loop on your hook. Do this as many times for as many chains.

You can see these sites for detailed help on each stitch:

http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/index.html

http://crochet.about.com/library/blbeginners.htm

Hope that helps!

why don't you type in the first row's instructions so we'll know what you are stuck at? Are you stuck after chaining the foundtation chain, then row one says to chain 1??

ok so you put 2 dc, in 4th chain from the hook and the next ch, [skip one chain (from the foundation row), make one chain (on the row you are on now) then dc in next chain], is that any easier to follow??

for some reason i dont understand "make one chain"... i have a serious case of baby brain!

:lol I FULLY understand that!! (mom to three under 5 right now (the oldest will be 5 in september ;) )

ok

"2 dc in fourth ch from hook and in next ch, (ch 1, skip next ch, dc in next ch) 3 times"

after the "2 dc in fourth ch from hook and in next ch," right after you complete that dc, chain one:

there will be the loop on your hook from compleating the dc, yarn over, pull through that loop, then proceed, you've just chained one ;)

wait... i think i get it... i hold it where the one loop is on the hook. do a YO and just pull thru right? then i keep going into the next chain on the foundation???

almost right, you SKIP the next chain on the foundation

well, yes it can affect it quite a bit depending on how much you are off by. one way I keep myself from getting off on my count is to use a pencil and mark off each part of the pattern, like after where it says 3 times, after I compleated it that many times I would make a mark there, to help me remember where I've already finished...I'm also good about leaving myself an arrow and the words "start RIGHT here" on patterns :lol

I've only done a couple of ripple patterns, but i seem to remember thinking gosh this thing is curly when I first started, It takes a couple of rows to get the zig zag shape to it. Just don't get discouraged :hug We're all here to cheer you on!! :cheer:cheer:cheer after the first couple of rows you won't even need that pattern any more :hook

an if its starting to curl a little bit does that mean my guage is off or will it straighten itself out in the next row? its supposed to be a zig-zag type pattern...

An afghan is a pretty big first project. I haven't even crocheted one myself yet. (I've been crocheting a couple months now and have made hats and bags and dishcloths.) I'd personally recommend trying some smaller projects first just so you can kind of get an idea of how the stitches work without getting too frustrated with such a big project. I started with smaller projects so I could really feel like I'd *finished* something.

Meanwhile, if your project isn't quite lying flat, it could be you have too many or too few stitches. (If it is a project that is supposed to be flat.) One thing I had to learn was that it is important to count your stitches.

Really good pattern writers will often give you a count of how many stitches you should have at the end of each row. I second the suggestion of the other listmember: use a pencil to mark off each section of the instructions that you complete. It really helps.

If your work is curling, or getting out of shape, it could mean that your foundation Chain is too tight, or that you did not miss CHs as directed in the pattern.

What you are trying to achieve on each row, is the same number of stitches and they should equal the chains you did at the start.

The ripple pattern does work and sit flat as I have done a couple of them.

They are a bit tricky for a starting project because you are increasing and decreasing across the row to form the zig-zags.

I would be inclined to suggest a straight pattern to start with in a simple shell or even just DC repeated on all rows, using colour changes to create interest instead of the zig-zags.

Maybe using an eyelash type yarn to finish the edge in SCs as this can be simple to do but looks great.

Even good old Granny Squares are a good place to start, then crochet them together into an afghan. Short rows are easier when you are learning as there is not so mch to un-do if you do make a mistake.

Let us know if you need any more help. We want you to achieve success not put yourself off crochet.

have fun.

Colleen.

Archived