Longer handles? and sizing question?

faithpa76

Which hooks have longer handles? The vintage one I used on the doily I finished yesterday has a short handle that rubbed against the palm of my hand, so I don't think I'll be using it again (but I wasn't going to switch hooks halfway through a project). I have a newer boye hook that's long enough but I'm curious as to what other hooks have longer handles (the boye that is okay for me is 5").

Can anyone tell me if the clover soft touch hooks are longer? I'd really like to try those and think I can probably get my dad to get them for me (he is very much into anything that will help cut down on RSI pain/discomfort).

???

Also - for those hooks that are marked with a number but not a size in mm, how can I find that out?? I'd like to do that with my yarn hooks too.

Edited because I remeasured my hook and realized it's only 5" - lol! I'd love to find some longer thread hooks though if anyone knows of some!

Which hooks have longer handles?

I'm going to need to check this at home. I think they're all about the same length, though. I have some vintage ones that dig into my palm, then some current ones that also dig into my palm, and my INOX hooks don't but I think I might hold them differently or something.

[i have really bad RSI/CTS issues.]

Also - for those hooks that are marked with a number but not a size in mm, how can I find that out?? I'd like to do that with my yarn hooks too.

They make gauge checks for that. You can use the knit ones, as long as they have the mm listed -- there are two here on Knit Picks site. You put the hook into the hole and figure out which one is right :)

• 1 month later...

If you have a woodworker or machinist friend, he or she could work up an extension for your hooks and probably make them look fancy too. If not, you could put a free ad on the craigslist.org site for your area asking if someone could do this for you. Imagine! You could wind up with the best looking hooks in town and they'd be functional too.

I'd like to add that if you go to craigslist.org and then click on the Crafts link in Discussion Forums, you find a few posts by Patman. He makes the most beautiful hooks and needles out of wood. I bet you and he could get together on the extension idea if you are so inclined. The photos of his work are a must-see at least.

I told him he should show off his work here at Crochetville. I hope he will.

Archived