holy shawl

sja

I am truly upset. I crocheted a lace shaw. I used a varigated lace weight wool yarn. It took quite a long time to make. I planned to just wear it to church. Today was the second time I had worn it to church. I noticed a hole it. It must have snagged on a chair. I don't know it I can repair it or not. I plan to try. Wish me luck.

Yes, a lot of holes can be repaired. It'll take feeding the yarn through the stitches little by little and recreating the damaged part. Just take it slow and think it through. You can do it! :cheer

Thanks for the supposrt:). I looked at it again today. It has so many broken strands. I do have more varigated laceyarn but I think it would difficult to match the torn place exactly. I will try to take it slow and not panic.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got up enough nerve to look at it again. It doesn't just have one hole it has at least 7 holes! The yarn breaks very easily. I had thought of taking the whole piece apart, but I know I couldn't do it was because it breaks so easily. I was thinking of maybe using fray stitch on it to repair the holes. There are too many broken strands to weave and rework it. I can't match up the varigated yarn either.

Finally got up enough nerve to look at it again. It doesn't just have one hole it has at least 7 holes! The yarn breaks very easily. I had thought of taking the whole piece apart, but I know I couldn't do it was because it breaks so easily. I was thinking of maybe using fray stitch on it to repair the holes. There are too many broken strands to weave and rework it. I can't match up the varigated yarn either.
Oh, that's too bad, especially after you spent so much time making it in the first place. So sorry... :(

Did you use a hook size appropriate for the yarn?

Perhaps sewing thread and fray check? Personally, I'd be afraid to wear it after this.

I agree with you on not wearing it again. I was trying just to stablize it with the glue. i tried something besides fray stitch on a sample yarn. It looked good. So, I used it on the shawl. It for some reason didn't dry clear as it had on my sample. I can't get the glue out. I should have used fray stitch. I think I will fold it over and maybe drape it over a chair or something and use it as a decorative piece. Thanks for letting me vent.

Archived