Felting in the Dryer?

HomekeepingGran

On a Ravelry group a lady said she tried dryer felting with great success. She wet her object and tossed it into the dryer with some tennis balls, watching it till it was done. One of the things she liked was not having to fish it out of water to check. She re-wet if it wasn't yet the right size but was getting too dry.

Anyone ever try this?

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I have a little phone case to be felted, maybe I'll try dryer felting it since I don't feel like doing something so small in the washer, and using a potato masher is so much work.

Do let me know how it goes. I've never felted and have a crocheted hat waiting for me to felt down. I'm nervous about it either way (washer or dryer) but the dryer certainly would have some advantages. This gal also said it took care of the lint problem since dryers are made to handle lint. It sounds interesting. Oh, the only other thing she said is that she wet her piece down in hot water before putting it into the dryer. People have been asking her about her process but she keeps sticking to these simple basics:

1. Wet the piece down thoroughly with hot water.

2. Toss into dryer with three tennis balls.

3. Use the low dryer heat (no fluff/air cycle).

4. Watch it till it's done. Re-wet as necessary.

I don't even HAVE any tennis balls. I'll probably try the washer for my first felting.

• 2 weeks later...

Dry the felted item in a large load of something else and stuff a couple of dry washcloths into slippers and towls into larger items to prevent the creases.And it may take more passes thru the machine, you can certainly full and do some of the felting in a front loader.

• 1 month later...

I just tried washer/dryer felting last night for the first time- not bad, not bad. Threw mp3 case in with other clothes to wash and dry. I would like it to be more felted looking vs. stitch definition, so......next time I have like colors, I will throw it in one more time.

Archived