Double Ended Hook Crochet ?s

crochetbydiana

Ok, my curiosity is greater after seeing 2 books at Annie's Attic. I've seen a book called Crochenit...or something like that. Is that the same as double-ended hook crochet?

Whick book do you recommend:

1,2,3,4 Double Ended Hook Crochet

or

101 Double Ended Hook Stitches

and If Crochetnit is the same does it teach the technique?

Does this technique produce a knit-like result? I know Tunisian basics is it much different from that?

I like crochenit because it doesn't give me the curl that Tunisian does. I haven't been doing it for long, though, and I'm wondering if I can just use Tunisian patterns for it. :think

To answer your question, as far as I can tell it's the same as double-ended hook crochet. I use a double-ended Tunisian hook. I didn't learn from a book. I learned from Mary Middleton's videos on YouTube.

I went searching at Ravelry.

My understanding is it is a form of Tunisian crochet. Came across Mary's stitches website: http://www.crochenit.net/stitches.html

I can't view videos, I'm on dial up, but seeing the photos helps.

What peaked my interest the most was in the round items. I like the stretchiness of knit in tubular items.

I read that somebody preferred regular knitting to this technique. I know the afghan hook bothers my wrists, so probably won't explore this technique any further. I use Tunisian mainly for dish or bath cloths.

Shoot, the more I thought about it as the day went on the more I wanted to at least try it. bwg. Your comment about it not curling kept playing in my head.

Do you use the Crochetnit hook or double ended hook. What size? circular?

Oh, I decided to get 1234 Double-Ended Hook Crochet. Just left Annie's Attic site. I'm curious as to how socks work up with this technique.

I'm using a Susan Bates double ended Tunisian hook that I found at Hobby Lobby. I wish I had kept the package because I can't remember if it's an H or J. It's 10 inches long and the only metal one they had. I have a wooden one, also. It's a 14 inch Rosewood Afghan Crochet Hook. I found them both at Hobby Lobby and I'm glad I bought them because I haven't seen them anywhere else. They were on clearance. That same day, I was also looking for a hook with a cord on the end so I could try knooking. It was a good day. I left Hobby Lobby with 2 double ended hooks as well as a flexible afghan hook and all 3 were on clearance. :clap I still haven't tried knooking, but I'm prepared! :lol

My husband was out of town and stopped at a Joann's that's 2 hours away looking for the same things for me. :manyheart The person he was talking to in the yarn section said she crochets but had no idea what he was talking about. :lol I had never heard of knooking or crochenit either until I came across them on Crochetville.

I like crochenit because it doesn't give me the curl that Tunisian does. I haven't been doing it for long, though, and I'm wondering if I can just use Tunisian patterns for it. :think

To answer your question, as far as I can tell it's the same as double-ended hook crochet. I use a double-ended Tunisian hook. I didn't learn from a book. I learned from Mary Middleton's videos on YouTube.

Just a guess, but after looking at the teminolgy and stitches I don't think regular Tunisian patterns would work. Then again I haven't even started so I may be totally wrong. Got interested on Knooking yesterday PM. Brain overload.........:D

The website has a long list of patterns for sale and several free.

http://www.crochenit.com/creations.html

It's my understanding that "Crochenit" is another term for the type of Tunisian done with a double-ended hook. I've only done a few things with the double ended hook, but I enjoy working with it.

I made a scarf last season and was working on it in a Dr's waiting room when a lady asked what I was doing. She knew how to crochet, but didn't recognize the process. I explained that it was like a cross between knit and crochet, and used the double-ended crochet hook. Her husband finished with the Dr and wanted to leave, but she wanted to stay and watch me! :lol

I have the 101 Double Ended Hook Stitch book, and it's fun to play with. I've made some hot pads and dish rags just to try the different stitches. BUT I think it's out of print, and you may have a difficult time finding it.

**101 Double Ended Hook Stitch book, and it's fun to play with. I've made some hot pads and dish rags just to try the different stitches. BUT I think it's out of print**

A revised, updated copy is available at Annie's Attic. For now I shall wait and see how it goes, when my books and hooks arrive.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived