HELP! HELP!

Suzee

Question

After much gnashing of teeth and frogging and perseverance, the doily is finished! I want to mail it out on Monday. However...it is a multi-color thread. I want to wash and block it, but I'm not sure what kind of soap to use or what to do, so the colors don't run all over the place. :think ANY suggestions would be welcome. Thank you. :hook

5 answers to this question

Well what does the thread label say? I'd suggest handwashing with cold water with mild soap if you can find any washing instruction on the label

it's cotton thread? a mild detergent and cool water, as Kari suggested. If you're very worried about it running, do a quick swatch and see if it runs. :)

Thank you for the suggestion. :) I used a little bit of Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds in a plastic container of cool water. I put the doily in, shook it gently, then poured out that water and kept doing plain cool water until it was rinsed. Then, I put a little bit of vinegar in the rinse water and then rinsed it twice. It worked like a charm and no running of colors. :clap

Love that Dr. Bronner's for gentle cleaning. Works on dogs, dirty kids, doilys, you name it, he cleans it. I handwashed my tiny doily in a drop of Joy detergent in my hand, worked up nice and sudsy, then rinsed well. I'm not bothering to block and starch it because by the time it gets to Sweden it might wilt anyway.

Kathy

Archived